• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Prop bolts....what's the consensus?

When I bought Nordocks from McMaster Carr, they were only available in standard sizes, not metric. That's OK for headers and such, but I was concerned the extra play on the prop bolt would cause a balance problem. Are metric sizes available from somewhere else? Does the extra play really matter?

Here's my way of keeping prop bolts from backing out,,, ;)

Attachments

• propbolts.jpg
    propbolts.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 274
When I bought Nordocks from McMaster Carr, they were only available in standard sizes, not metric. That's OK for headers and such, but I was concerned the extra play on the prop bolt would cause a balance problem. Are metric sizes available from somewhere else? Does the extra play really matter?
How would it introduce extra play? The bolt hole would prevent lateral movement and cinching it down eliminates vertical movement.

BJ Swope

M

Matt

Mc master now has metric... Just got 3 sets of 5mm for my 3 large planes

I use a torque wrench (I had one anyways) to tighten my bolts down. I begin with 84 ounce/inches and then go to 90 after I've done all the bolts.
I've never replaced bolts but I will be doing it at least once or twice a year from now on to avoid bolts shearing off.

How would it introduce extra play? The bolt hole would prevent lateral movement and cinching it down eliminates vertical movement.

BJ Swope
The extra play I'm worried about is due to the ID in the washer being larger than the prop bolt, so the washer would not be centered on the bolt. Changes the balance?