• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Prop bolts....what's the consensus?

No thread lock on any of our prop bolts.

While I love Nord Locks to hold motors tight to the firewall for the long haul, I have never seen a washer of any sort under a prop bolt. It just seems like it might cause even more vibration because of balancing, extra pieces to fail etc... Does anyone use washers on prop bolts?

Cool, good to know. I am guessing you are talking about flat washers... the nord locks have those little teeth on them. For those who use the nord locks on prop bolts, do the little teeth face the hub and do they scuff it up?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nord lock washer are built or made to work in pairs and the teeth or wedges face one other. Hope this makes sense. Ask for more info.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The question on washers if the Soc. Hd. screwd head is digging into the aluminium prop washer. If it is then a steel washer must be used. If the socket head bolts are digging into aluminium you can not maintain the torque load required because the aluminum is yielding under the bolt head. Hope this helps.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have been using the NORD lock washers since the beginning of this year. Nearly lost a prop on my Sukhoi when two of the six bolts sheared for no apparent reason. Since using the NORD locks, I've not had any issues.

mnfatboy

50cc
Does the use of Nord washer effect the torquing of the bolts? One would think having the over lapping teeth it would effect the torque reading.

OK, got it! I gotta start doing this. Cody gave me a bag of them a while ago but I never used them on the prop bolts. I have like 50 or so. Definitely do this on all the gassers this winter if it seems to give everybody more piece of mind.