• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Prescription sunglasses

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Polarized prescription Oakleys for me. Works awesome!  They are just single script. Not sure if Oakley offers progressives or not?

My regular everyday glasses are auto-dark Crizal lenses and they work pretty well unless the sun is right there in front of you. In fact, I flew with them for four years before I got the Oakleys. A nice boonie hat helps a bunch too.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Ohio AV8TOR said
 Do you normally have a progressive bifocal?  That price is not bad for a prescription.  When do you expect to get them?  Please let me know how it works out.  
I do normally use a progressive lense...   when I correct for my distant vision, I can't see crap up close without it....  so, I would only be able to wear these 'during a flight'  will have to take them off to see my transmitter  
icon_smile.gif

Zenni normally gets stuff to me inside of 3 to 4 weeks... not too bad...

Will report back when I get them.

I can't recommend the Extreme Glare lens highly enough!!  They are well worth the price for me.  They are the best sunglasses that I've had in 60 years of wearing glasses!  The day they came in I was going flying so I wore them for the trip (~60miles due east) and didn't realize how bad the glare was until I looked over the tops and almost ran off of the road it was so bright!! 

The lensesI have are the medium rose tint in Serengeti frames.  Again, I highly recommend them!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So here is what I ended up doing because Extreme Glare never got back with my on a quote for my prescription.  I had a pair of Maui Jim's from an old prescription that I had Lenscrafters make into a current prescription without polarized.  I had them color them with dark Rose with UV protection and they are awesome.  The Rose really makes colors pop.  This is going to work out really good for flying.  

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I got the glasses in from Zenni a day or so ago.

They are your basic policabinate wrap around sun glasses.   The glasses and frame are nice.   The actual prescription lens is a secondary clear lens that is installed just inside of the standard wrap around sunglasses.   not a bad idea.

I am pretty happy with them, they work great ...   on $35.00 or so for the pair I ordered. 

So, I would consider this is a valid option...

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
mndless said
I got the glasses in from Zenni a day or so ago.

They are your basic policabinate wrap around sun glasses.   The glasses and frame are nice.   The actual prescription lens is a secondary clear lens that is installed just inside of the standard wrap around sunglasses.   not a bad idea.

I am pretty happy with them, they work great ...   on $35.00 or so for the pair I ordered. 

So, I would consider this is a valid option...
You can't beat the price.  When I looked around the site you posted it did look like the lenses are secondary.  I am sure this is how they save some money being all lenses are the same size then.  Glad you like them.  

I have vision insurance where I work and will pay for a new single prescription lens and frames once a year. I got a set of Oakley frames with the non-polarized lenses and just the prescription for my distance . I have worn them flying the past two weekends and absolutely love them. The dark brown tint I have really make the contrast of the plane and sky pop. If I need to program the radio or such I just put on my regular glasses. I used to use polarizes fishing glasses with reflective lenses but I'm really starting to like the ones I have now.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
SleepyC said
I have progressive tri-focals. I can't find anything. I'm afraid I'll have to buy Blue Blcokers or something.

BUT... I had NO glasses until I turned 40  - 3 years ago. I remember the day I went flying again after getting them I was like .. HOLY CRAP I CAN SEE THE PLANE AND THERE IS JUST ONE OF THEM!! HAHA it truly changed my life. Darn eyes....
Hee hee....reminds me of...Um, ME. I was a little more fortunate I guess. I was about 46 or 47 I guess when I noticed my eyes were not "seeing" so well. I too had to get Tri's. UGH....hated them. Since my close up vision basically "SUCKS" a big one, and my distance really was like yours Sleepy, my in between was still really good....I figured I really only needed "ONE" prescription. That was the one I got. After all, taking (1) plane to the field and seeing two in the air is not a good thing. WHICH ONE DO YOU FLY? LOL..... all better now. Now if I could just get sunglasses in that prescription as well, I would be rockin.... 

Very good thread.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
When I flew helicopters in the Army National Guard the flight surgeon would always comment about my 20/10 vision.  52 was it for me and now at 62 I am facing cataract surgery in the near future I am told.  My flying has got more and more docile because quite frankly orientation is not as easy.  It sucks no doubt but still as much fun flying as ever.  

HornetNZ

50cc
I got the Extreme Glare over-glasses pair last year at Toledo, medium rose tint. I do like them, but you have to make sure they fit with your perscription frames. I recently got new glasses and the frame corner to the arm is wider than my previous ones, so it hits the bevel of the EG glasses...makes it feel like its going to slide down my nose sometimes. My new glasses I decided to try Transitions lenses. There's a few different kinds of Transitions, I chose the 'Extreme Sport' version which are sposed to go darker than the others, and will work in the car..but are not polarized. I've been flying with only these recently and its working fine as long as I'm not facing the sun.