• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Prescription sunglasses

O

Ohio AV8TOR

For those unfortunate to need glasses what do you do for your flying sunglasses?  I have a pair of Maui Jim's but in gray and it's hard to see plane colors plus an old script.  

I tried the cocoons fitovers at BassPro that some like but was hard to tell colors inside and they did not fit that well unless I went to the huge size that looked like goggles

Anyone use the Zurich's? 

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I am using a set of prescription glasses with the coating that gets darker in the sun. They are also progressive as well since my eyes are getting older as well. I need a new pair, but I am a bit to lazy right now to call and get my appointment. 

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Still looking for a better solution.    I have ordered glasses from Zennioptical, http://www.zennioptical.com/, and am pretty happy with them, price is pretty good.

As I understand it, any polycarbonate lens will by 100% UV blocking, so my progressive prescription on poly is what I currently use, with the 80% coating (I think).   You cant get the progressive prescription on a wrap around profile from there, which is what I want....

3D-Joy

50cc
Having a rather low prescription I can use glasses that are quite curved and still get away with not too much deformation on the sides.  So I use an Oakley frame with polarized lenses.  I would never fly again without polarized lenses.  I know some people don't like them but I know more that like them, worth a try IMO.

As for progressive lenses I heard people say they were hard to fly with due to having to position your head with the plane to keep good focus.  Drawback of non progressive lenses is you can't read your radio...

I wear Oakley prescription sunglasses when I fly with the red iridium lenses, I believe they are a rose color filter and they really make the colors pop out. They don't block as much light as black lenses, but it's sufficient and well worth the contrast you get when you look at your plane in the air. 

I forgot to mention, they are also polarized which I would highly recommend. It makes the radio screen difficult to read, but just take em off when you're programming.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Anyone try or use the Zurich Extreme Glare fitovers that were so popular some time back?  Sems they are called Z EG now.  I have RayBan frames for my prescription and I am concerned about the fitovers.  

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I ordered a pair from Zenni Optical last week...

Wrap around type

They were only $35.00 and might be terribly ugly when they git here... but, we'll see...  was worth a shot.

Single prescript only... this lense wouldn't do progressive...

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Do you normally have a progressive bifocal?  That price is not bad for a prescription.  When do you expect to get them?  Please let me know how it works out.  

SleepyC

150cc
I have progressive tri-focals. I can't find anything. I'm afraid I'll have to buy Blue Blcokers or something.

BUT... I had NO glasses until I turned 40  - 3 years ago. I remember the day I went flying again after getting them I was like .. HOLY CRAP I CAN SEE THE PLANE AND THERE IS JUST ONE OF THEM!! HAHA it truly changed my life. Darn eyes....