• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Powerbox or Powersafe receiver

Currently am using a powerbox competition in my EF extra 104. Futaba is coming out with the R7018SB powersafe receiver soon I believe. Now am getting another airframe and was thinking of trying the powersafe RX. Which do you guys think is the way to go?

Judge

70cc twin V2
Not sure of the specs on the new Futaba RX, but from what I have seen I want one!! A full 18 wired servo portsPLUS S.Bus, PLUS two huge power leads, AND it is a FASSTest telemetry RX (which means you will need a 14SG/18MZ/18SZ to use it).. All RX/servo power is fed directly into the RX. The "switch" just turns on the RX, not power flows through it.

I have never seen the need for Powerboxes, etc. and I think for those that have, this RX is the answer!! I know I'll have a couple on order them minute they are available, which is the current unknown.

Judge

70cc twin V2
Me too!! It does what I want, provides two BIG wires feeding power INTO the RX. That is always the choke point. Once going to servos each lead can handle the load for a servo. But power in is the key!! I also like not having a mechanical switch in the power line. I've gone to mostly all magnetic/non-mechanical switches and this is the next step.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
I might consider ine for my 100 but depends on the price in au when released. A boomarc powerbus and dual electronic switch is 250 and does the same but takes up more space.

With a powerbox I get a constant voltage from the first flight to last. With the powesafe rx is there a decrease in servo performance as the flights increase?

By going with the power bus style reciever you just simplified your system. Less connection points and a very simple straight forward setup. I think if you were ask any JR or Spektrum users they would all say the same. Easy, straight forward and reliable. I'm sure the power box is a great unit but unless there is a needed component in that system we don't really need them anymore.

By going with the power bus style reciever you just simplified your system. Less connection points and a very simple straight forward setup. I think if you were ask any JR or Spektrum users they would all say the same. Easy, straight forward and reliable. I'm sure the power box is a great unit but unless there is a needed component in that system we don't really need them anymore.
Absolutely..I agree! But my question was regarding the loss in performance if any as the flights increase. The powerbox maintains a consistent voltage. Just wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger on the powersafe rx.

PowerSafe Rx for me. I have flown many GS aircraft on just the bare Rx alone. No adverse effects. Typical Tx buss is rated for 35A. Your limiting factor are the servo plugs at 3A constant.

Performance degradation, you wont feel, unless you are super serious about competiting, and need it.

I have done my share of competiting, with all battery types, LiPo, LiOn, A123, NiMH, NiCad....... If you are looking for a constant supply of power, then dont look past A123 packs. They charge up to around 7V, and then quickly drop to 6.6V and stay there until dead.

I never felt battery degration with LiPo, LiOn, NiMH or NiCad. I can feel it when the batteries are completely dead.

Bunky I'm using Gens Ace 3300 mAh Lipos on the rx and 2100 mAh on ignition. Also what type of switch do you recommend if I go with the powersafe rx? Most of the guys I fly with use Smartfly or powerbox. So I have never seen a setup with a powersafe rx .