• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PM Research Mini Engine Lathe Build

Got the handle shaft knocked out this morning. The tricky part is the bend, and not cracking it during the process. No cracks, but I didn't quite get the 60* on the bend the prints call for. It's good enough for me though.

Attachments

• Handle2 (2).jpg
    Handle2 (2).jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Handle3 (2).jpg
    Handle3 (2).jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Handle5 (2).jpg
    Handle5 (2).jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 61
Steven,
What chuck mount does your lathe have?
Hey Tony,
I picked up an ER40 chuck for the lathe, just because of this project. It is working out great. I can drill halfway through a part, flip it around, and finish drilling from the other side and it's right on the money! It will probably stay on the lathe permanently, unless it needs to come off for special projects.

Attachments

• IMG_5889 (2).jpg
    IMG_5889 (2).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 62
Got the offset bushings done. They were made out of 1/4" brass stock, with an offset from center hole in them.

Attachments

• Bushing5.jpg
    Bushing5.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Bushing3.jpg
    Bushing3.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Bushing1.jpg
    Bushing1.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 71
  • Bushing4.jpg
    Bushing4.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 70
  • Bushing7.jpg
    Bushing7.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 76

TonyHallo

150cc
So the collet holder is bolted to the backplate on your lathe? Did it come machined to fit your register (spigot fit for those who worked with Westinghouse power generation equipment) fit or did you finish it?
I have ER32 collets and if I had a collet holder similar to yours I would leave it on the lathe for sure. I have a MT3 collet holder that was used in my old mill and currently making a drawbar for the lathe however the stock cannot pass thru the holder so I will leave the 3 jaw on until I spring for new holder.

Yep, it has the same 3 bolt pattern and relief that my lathe spindle has. It fit right on. I made sure it was a bolt on fit before getting it. I'm pretty sure they make the same chuck for the ER32 as well, with a couple different styles for different lathes. I almost got the C5 style, but I'd of had to make the backplate for my lathe.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 69
Ok, I spent all day yesterday on just a couple of parts. I got some of the spindle assembly basically done. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to tackle the wedding cake, or "step pully". I finally decided to work off of the large end. I made sure that end was flat, then trued it to the lathe with a test indicator and trued it up. Then I was able to chuck it up and do the rest.

Attachments

• s01 (2).jpg
    s01 (2).jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 60
  • s02 (2).jpg
    s02 (2).jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 56
  • s03 (2).jpg
    s03 (2).jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 58
  • s7 (2).jpg
    s7 (2).jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 65
  • s10 (2).jpg
    s10 (2).jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 68
Next was the drive gear that gets pressed into the wedding cake, " step pully". All these parts also have through holes drilled in them.

Attachments

• s15.jpg
    s15.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 55
  • s16.jpg
    s16.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 82
  • s17.jpg
    s17.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 63