• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Had a great 8 hours at the field and then to find after some light sanding the canopy hatch fits like a glove. Can't ask for a better day...
Next up will be to recut the aluminum panels for a better fit.
Do you use the aluminum panels because that is scale and do you paint them when done or polish the panels.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Do you use the aluminum panels because that is scale and do you paint them when done or polish the panels.
I did initially start using the aluminum for scale panels as it is the easiest to work with. But I also use them for builds like this where I want the nose to be accessible. This kit called for balsa planking but with all the electronics and the such in that area it just did not make sense to enclose them. Even with everything up front including the DLE 111 it will more than likely need a little nose weight, but not near as much as it would have with everything behind the instrument panel former.
A Rx, EP X10, dual bridge rectifiers, fuel tank, smoke tank, dual Fromecos, ignition kill, oil fill, dual switches and fuel fill. Odds are sooner than later something would have to be looked after.

Attachments

• P1090065.JPG
    P1090065.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I did initially start using the aluminum for scale panels as it is the easiest to work with. But I also use them for builds like this where I want the nose to be accessible. This kit called for balsa planking but with all the electronics, fuel and oil tanks, and the such in that area it just did not make sense to enclose them. Even with everything up front including the DLE 111 it will more than likely need a little nose weight, but not near as much as it would have with everything behind the instrument panel former.
That’s a good idea, nice to be able to open up a panel to have access to plane equipment. How thick is the stuff you use.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL. Was adding to the post while you posted. I use the roll flashing from Home Depot, it is listed as .0092 but measures .0080.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The aluminum panels are a lot easier to do than making removable hatch’s. All you need is make sufficient locations so you are able to screw the panels down nicely. Man I have to remember that for the future like the ides.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I did hatches on some planes that called for them like the Waco, it had a luggage compartment of which I used for the switches. But the idea of having to pull a fuel tank by way of a hatch just does not sound as feasible as removing a complete panel by way of 20'ish screws.

Attachments

• 33 - Copy.JPG
    33 - Copy.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 34 - Copy.JPG
    34 - Copy.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 231

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I remade the panels a few days ago, today I set on getting it sanded and ready for covering and that is just what has been done. I will start the covering either later today or tomorrow morning. Should go pretty quick as it is a simple scheme.

Attachments

• P1090090.JPG
    P1090090.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 170

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have to agree Snoop, there is a beauty in the bones. A number of years back I took one similar to this to an event, show and tell type thing, and people were blown away by how much goes into our aircraft.
The covering has begun with getting the bottoms of the H stab and ele's covered. I like to put the hinges in while I can see how much epoxy ooze's out the back so tomorrow I will start with that on these then continue on with the rudder, half of it anyway.
And it only took about five minutes in to remember just how much I hate this plastic stuff!!!

Attachments

• P1090092.JPG
    P1090092.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 207