• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I prefer to wrap on layer at a time, and after soaking in water be sure to wipe dry as much as possible. If you laminate all of them at one time the water, regardless of how well wiped, will dilute the glue so as to take nearly 24 hours to dry. One could use c/a in the process to hold while the wood glue dries or in lieu of, just saying.
Below is a shot of my tail feathers in the process, if it gives any ideas, great.

Attachments

• 3b.JPG
    3b.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 3d.JPG
    3d.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 245

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have come to the conclusion that I need to baffle the airflow around the engine. But, seemingly in a manner unheard of, it is running way to cool. So, any one have any ideas as to which would be better, reducing the intake opening or the exit opening?

Jaketab

50cc
Ace,

Thanks for help. I had in mind to apply the 1st perimeter strip and let it set up till dry.
Then apply the other four.
I have downloaded many of your reference pics and others from different forums.
Your pictures have been of excellent help.

Thanks and best regards,
Jaketab

Hard to imagine one of these engines running too cool. Possibly it's the placement or non-contact of the temp sensor.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Your very welcome. The temp sensor is dead against the head between the exhaust exit and first fin, should be the hottest point, silicon holds it firmly in place.
By the way Jake, have you heard of the ironing method of instantly adhering with wood glue.

Last edited:

john_M

30cc
Shhhh don't tell anyone I'm here...

Hehe, I found you guys Ace / Jeff... glad I found you, it was getting a little tight over there squeezing in between all those billboards, even though mine were blank :rolleyes:

Ace is the go to guy for anything Pitts related, outstanding model making to boot.

John M

Last edited:

john_M

30cc
I have come to the conclusion that I need to baffle the airflow around the engine. But, seemingly in a manner unheard of, it is running way to cool. So, any one have any ideas as to which would be better, reducing the intake opening or the exit opening?

I wouldn't reduce the exit opening, as that may increase the pressure buildup inside the cowl... if you have to, reduce the intake openings, or put some sort of plate with holes in it that restricts the amount of airflow through and around the cylinders... how cool is it running, below 280?

John M,

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Welcome aboard John. I thought about the back pressure if blocking the exit and "No" that would not be good for the carb. I went looking, after a fella on RCU mentioned something that rang a bell, for a pic I had that shows the intake being baffled. So that is what I will do, baffle the incoming airflow. The highest temp it has recorded is 188°, no where near being efficient for the engine nor for good smoke.

john_M

30cc
I just replied to your other thread on RCU... raising the cylinder head temp will help a bit, but the smoke oil is vaporizing in the exhaust system, not inside the the cylinders, so raising the engine operating temp of the actually cylinders will help to move more heat into the exhaust, but you are loosing a lot of heat through the exhaust pipes themselves... on the other board I suggested you wrap the exhaust pipes in some fiberglass tape like the performance engine builders do so as to insulate the exhaust pipes to hold in the heat... as well as to place a baffle to move the airflow away from the exhaust system

John M,

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
12 O'clock high has come and gone, it was another great event put on by Frank Tiano. I only managed to get three flight's in but had a heck of a time, met some new great people, and watched a lot of folk's drool over the Eagle. It definitely need's a wash and polish after this weekend. One of the Pitt's brothers also stopped by, modracer07 (aka) Chris from RCU and pictured below, I think he liked it. I had planned on more flight's but after the first one this morning I went to swap the two blade for the three and found that it had two prop bolt's broke. But that did and does not take away the pure pleasure of the three flights I did get or the time spent this weekend enjoying this hobby and the many fantastic people in it.
The is a video of this morning's flight as soon as videographer, (aka) a good friend, has it loaded and pulls some still shots for me I will post them/it.

Attachments

• 2015-10-17 12.38.08.jpg
    2015-10-17 12.38.08.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 273
Reactions: Jlc

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Here is the video of the first flight of the third day, nothing fancy, going to take it a bit easy with it until I feel confident it can handle the extra weight.

The extremely annoying noise is a twin engine sitting right behind us waiting to go up.