• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 107" Extra 330SC

thurmma

150cc
Joe,

How would you compare the Pilot 330SC to the PAU 300SP as far as construction quality is concerned? I am on the hunt for a new IMAC bird for next season and have both of these on the radar. I don't know if you have had the opportunity to build a PAU 300SP or not but, figured I would ask.

I am not looking for a brand war, just info from someone who has probably built and flown both of them at one point. Thanks!

Joe Hunt

150cc
Joe,

How would you compare the Pilot 330SC to the PAU 300SP as far as construction quality is concerned? I am on the hunt for a new IMAC bird for next season and have both of these on the radar. I don't know if you have had the opportunity to build a PAU 300SP or not but, figured I would ask.

I am not looking for a brand war, just info from someone who has probably built and flown both of them at one point. Thanks!

Hi thurmma! The Pilot 330SC is fun, fun, fun! That's why I bought 3! haha However, I would be hard pressed to compete in Basic IMAC with it. The wings are thick and the plane is not precise at all. As for the PAU Extra I have not flown one. But, from videos they look much more precise. However, when they come back in stock at PAU they will be short coupled. Herve says he's going back to a more tumbling/3D version. The AW Extra 260 (I had two) would be good in the lower classes (and maybe middle), the AW Yak55 would be good through the middle classes (Rocco had these on sale for as little as around $1600, that's a nice deal when it happens, he's sold out now). The H9 Sukhoi would be real good in all classes (although, the expensive kits are even better, they are cheating, they fly so good). Speculation, the Pilot Yak54 would be good in the lower and maybe middle classes.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Wait so are you building a 107" Extra or a 122" Extra??? Your thread has me all confused :oblong:

haha

Well, when I started this thread I was getting going on the 107. But, Jeff was bored and asked to assemble it (he has another project going now so he's over my 107, haha). Meanwhile I started my second 122 and have been posting pics in this thread out of laziness or something. lol I might finish my 122 today and then might start in on the 107. Although I've been flying Jeff's Viper and these 1/3 scale planes are just so little. haha If someone wanted to buy my 107 locally for full price I would probably sell it... even though the graphics package came out sick... the graphics make me want to finish it. haha

thurmma

150cc
Thank you Joe! There are a few Sukhois in our region and they do fly well. That is interesting about the PAU. I guess it is easier for a manufacturer to sell a 3d plane then a plane designed for IMAC so I understand that decision.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Thank you Joe! There are a few Sukhois in our region and they do fly well. That is interesting about the PAU. I guess it is easier for a manufacturer to sell a 3d plane then a plane designed for IMAC so I understand that decision.

Also PAU is coming out with the Dalton ML for IMAC... so I think that is one reason Herve is going 3D on the other big planes.

Joe Hunt

150cc
I didn't finish the plane yesterday for a Thursday maiden. I got stymied on the motorbox. Last one worked out perfect drilling the factory template holes on the firewall. This one came out 1/4" low. Took awhile to fix that.

Took a shot of my DA-170 head after 65 flights (I did a pretty nice baffle job) next to my friend's DA-170 (his is the pink one on the right).

I made up a new PSP fuel tank (I'm going to throw the older one back in the H9 Sukhoi w/ DA-170 on tune pipes for IMAC). I used DUBRO clunks because they're slotted.

PSP has an instruction video on putting these together (not that you need one), and they show using a sharpened brass pipe to cut the holes in the water bottle. But, I found that these Forstner bits work really well.

Attachments

• 20160302_153213.jpg
    20160302_153213.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 20160303_021313.jpg
    20160303_021313.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 20160303_051134.jpg
    20160303_051134.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 20160303_051220.jpg
    20160303_051220.jpg