• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 107" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
I should add on the ignition, if you are going to switch out a DLE ignition (made my RCXL) you are only possibly getting a different timing curve since most of the new DLE ignitions are labeled for specific engines. I would strongly suggest calling these guy's for a replacement ignition and if you have questions give them a call. Extremely knowledgeable: http://www.rcextremepower.net/

I bought their ignition tester, wrote them an email asking a question about it, and never heard back. :/

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    474.6 KB · Views: 269
Yeah, the ZDZ-180... in my experience so far... is definitely best in class. DLE would be second. The others? I'm not that excited about them. hehe

DLE second?

Dang!

I haven't really looked at them since ValleyView stopped being the service center. Of course, they're so much cheaper that if you couldn't fix it yourself, you could just buy a new one...

Joe Hunt

150cc
DLE second?

Dang!

I haven't really looked at them since ValleyView stopped being the service center. Of course, they're so much cheaper that if you couldn't fix it yourself, you could just buy a new one...

A lot more power on stock mufflers than most other brands (except ZDZ). Half price, of a lot of brands. And, I'm trying to talk Joe Nolasco @ P1 Hobbies into charging an extra $75 for them... and testing them before he ships them out. Actually I think I already did talk him into it... he just bought a MegaTron for that purpose. :)

ZDZ feels to me, like the old days, when I would get a 3W-150 from Germany. It's tested, it's of the highest quality, it needs no mods or aftermarket parts, it will fire up easily the first time and every time after that, it has the best power and transition in class.

thurmma

150cc
I have been using a GP-176EVO for the last month or so which replaced a DLE-170 because I took out a cylinder and jug, and all I have to say is WOW! It fires up on the 3rd to 5th flip with choke and then 3rd to 4th flip with choke off and runs beautifully. I can't believe how smooth it is at an idle and the power is out of this world. I thought the DLE was great on power with the RE3's but, it is nothing compared to the 176. The 176 is in my IMAC bird, a 3DHS 330LX, and it is really nice to have extra power when it is needed. I have about a dozen flights on the engine so far and was told by Ken Crane, the guy I bought the engine from, that I should start to see the full potential of the engine start to show up in the next 4 to 6 flights. I know GP has had their issues with the 176EVO in the past but, in my book this engine is a keeper!!

The DLE is back together and running fine on the 42% Edge with stock mufflers but, I still have the headers and may be putting the RE3's on it after I pick up some Planebender smooth pipes from Dave Sullivan. He says I will pick up at least another 250 rpm over the RE3's.

Sorry to get off topic :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
I have been using a GP-176EVO for the last month or so which replaced a DLE-170 because I took out a cylinder and jug, and all I have to say is WOW!

Yeah, I wanted to try a GP-176EVO since I got back in July. Seems plenty strong, but I read those problems and stayed away for now. I know from experience, though, that things change. Oftentimes with companies they will beat the field with their product, then ride on their reputation until the field passes them up and people catch on... then they will improve again... each company getting their turn at being the best. That's the way it was with computer hard drives, for sure. Being brand loyal to WD, IBM, Seagate, etc., was/is foolish. Glad to hear you're impressed with that GP 176! I was thinking of trying out the GP 123, we'll see. I am a little afraid of its rep of not lasting very long.

Joe Hunt

150cc
It fires up on the 3rd to 5th flip with choke and then 3rd to 4th flip with choke off and runs beautifully.

I have my ZDZ-180 choke on a spring switch... when it pops I let go of the switch and it just keeps running. The guys at the field are impressed. haha I've always done my choke servos that way. :)