• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Its an inner condenser that utilizes the waste heat from the induction system giving the furnace its 90+AFUE rating. They drain condensate usually in to the same drain line as the air conditioner evaporator. They have an internal P trap built in as to keep a certain amount of condensate "level" in the condenser so hot air wont burn through the tube walls at the bottom. This P trap is different than the one installed for the entire heating cooling system drainage. It has sensors that are looped in series with all other safety sensors (roll out, limit, high limit switches) so when a diagnostic code reads (like 33.F.R.S.) all components in that loop need to be checked. Most likely it was this trap or a blockage in the drain line that the trap dumps to that caused the problem. You need to re prime it with tap water after servicing so the condenser does not suffer excessive thermal shock on start up. If you did not don't worry because it will eventually fill itself but in the future you should know to do this because it will (condenser) fail from excessive thermal shock.

And yes I used to be a Board Certified Heating and air Doctor amongst other things as well :laughing:.
I appreciate all of your input and knowledge. The true culprit it seems was the plugged condenser fins. Once I clean them and put the furnace back together and turned it on, it's been chugging away just like brand new without even a hiccup. However, I will have your information to refer back to should Future problems arise.
wink-and-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I appreciate all of your input and knowledge. The true culprit it seems was the plugged condenser fins. Once I clean them and put the furnace back together and turned it on, it's been chugging away just like brand new without even a hiccup. However, I will have your information to refer back to should Future problems arise.
View attachment 101199

I applaud your intuition :attaboy:. Not many homeowners understand the intricacy of furnace controls and the need for regular maintenance and inspection. Now this is the part where you ask me for a service agreement and pay me large sums of money to show up at your door once :big-grin: .

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I applaud your intuition :attaboy:. Not many homeowners understand the intricacy of furnace controls and the need for regular maintenance and inspection. Now this is the part where you ask me for a service agreement and pay me large sums of money to show up at your door once :big-grin: .
Umm... I like ya and all. And no doubt you're my bro. in a matter of speaking. But...nehooo! I don't pay anyone for no service agreements as long as I can figer schtuff out by myself. 'Specially if it costs me moolah I can be spendin' on some gorgeous healthy lunged red head!
happy-wink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
What gets me is how some of the contractors have these magical numbers bouncing around in their heads and if one is ignorant they will spend tons not knowing what things cost. I had once contractor look at my geothermal and I just popped the question, how much would it cost to replace one of the units?

He chanted the magic number 25K. I did not say anything, but I am the one that put the units in the house and I know exactly what it would cost me to replace either one of them and it is a long ways from 25K. It boggles my mind sometime what these guys will tell you. I believe in paying a good wage for good work, but sheeesh, really? Why don't I just pile some cash up and light a fire under it and watch the embers go up into the air?

Ok, I realize we are taking this thread down a deep and dark path of no return. Where were we..oh, right, covering. :D

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What gets me is how some of the contractors have these magical numbers bouncing around in their heads and if one is ignorant they will spend tons not knowing what things cost. I had once contractor look at my geothermal and I just popped the question, how much would it cost to replace one of the units?

He chanted the magic number 25K. I did not say anything, but I am the one that put the units in the house and I know exactly what it would cost me to replace either one of them and it is a long ways from 25K. It boggles my mind sometime what these guys will tell you. I believe in paying a good wage for good work, but sheeesh, really? Why don't I just pile some cash up and light a fire under it and watch the embers go up into the air?

Ok, I realize we are taking this thread down a deep and dark path of no return. Where were we..oh, right, covering. :D
Ah but it's ok. A little diversion and diversity is good for the soul. So long as ya's don't be cheatin' on the reds, a little wandering in the woods is Okie dokie with me.happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

Exactly....