• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Performance Aircraft Unlimited 300SP

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Spent most of the late afternoon and evening working on the 300. Motor is now permanently mounted, ignition placed and strapped in, all fuse wiring done, Fuel dot and Ign. LED installed along with Smart-Fly Pin and Flag Fail Safe Switch. About the only thing left on the fuse is to install the exhaust, plumb and install the fuel tank, install and connect throttle linkage. Still have to glue the rudder hinges in and connect linkage and glue the canopy on. I think I will hold off on that for a while though as I want to locate just the "right" pilot bust. So still a good day or so on the fuse. Then all that is left is stab and aileron servos. Could easily be done by this weekend. More photos to follow.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Got a little more accomplished today after a minor set back on can mounts. I decided to go with light ply mounts rather than wait for an order for aluminum mounts. Since I needed to open up the bottom of the cowl for the front dump MTW's, I chose to open it up enough for air flow. So the need for dumping air down the can tunnel should not be so crucial. I will probably still open up the bottom of the fuse in one or two spots for air to circulate around the cans. I have also seen some of you use hose clamps on the couplers, I decided I would give that a whirl. Especially since for what ever reason, the spring steel clamps didn't seem to want to compress enough to put a tight grip on the coupler connections. Tomorrow I will finish up the throttle servo and linkage installation. Still have to connect linkage on the rudder and install main gear wheels and pants. At that point, all that will remain is the canopy and the fuse will be done. On to the wings and stabs after that.

right side fuel.jpg right veiw ignition.jpg tob of motor box.jpg left veiw ignition.jpg Mounts complete.jpg right can.jpg both exhaust installed.jpg left veiw exhaust.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Stangflyer,

You're rolling right along and it's looking good.......:fist_pump: This is the first time I've seen fuel tubing used for canister mounts. I'm not questioning your using it, I am just wondering how the tubing holds up to the heat of the canister since I have never seen it used before.

Now hurry up and get that thing done................J/K :LOL_gif:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Stangflyer,

You're rolling right along and it's looking good.......:fist_pump: This is the first time I've seen fuel tubing used for canister mounts. I'm not questioning your using it, I am just wondering how the tubing holds up to the heat of the canister since I have never seen it used before.

Now hurry up and get that thing done................J/K :LOL_gif:
Thanks David.... It is actually coming along rather quickly. Guess after you do a couple, it becomes easier (and quicker) with each one huh? The fuel tubing is actually Nitro tubing. It holds up pretty well as it withstands heat really well. Silicone tubing is what a lot of people use. Regular fuel tubing however will not withstand the heat too well at all.

I really can't see any reason why I won't have this done by this weekend as planned. Once the fuse is done, doing the wings and stabs is childs play as you well know, right?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I always mount my power expanders with glowtard tubing. Helps reduce vibration.
Hey, that's a pretty cool idea. I haven't worried about adding anything extra to the shock absorber system. Since they have the rubber grommets, I usually utilize them the best way I can. I like this idea though. :way_to_go: