• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Peak Models 32% Extra 330 SC

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looks like we have a winner of a chicken dinner @Snoopy1 :yesss:.

Broke out the level and incidence meter to check the stab. What'd ya know......Stab is actually just about 0. Measured Neg -.5 degrees in relation to the main wing. When I did this to the V1 it measured Pos +1 degree (which I set back to 0 ).
So I am going to move the 8oz weight further forward just about where the prop hub is. Even though the wing is 0 with the datum or thrust line it sure doesn't look like it by just looking at it. Tail seems too high. And going back to the landing picks it seems that the wing was perfectly parallel to the ground then. That landing should have been a 2 point grease job. Huh!? :face-palm:.

1212172256-00.jpg
1212172255-00.jpg
1212172255-01.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looks like we have a winner of a chicken dinner @Snoopy1 :yesss:.

Broke out the level and incidence meter to check the stab. What'd ya know......Stab is actually just about 0. Measured Neg -.5 degrees in relation to the main wing. When I did this to the V1 it measured Pos +1 degree (which I set back to 0 ).
So I am going to move the 8oz weight further forward just about where the prop hub is. Even though the wing is 0 with the datum or thrust line it sure doesn't look like it by just looking at it. Tail seems to high. And going back to the landing picks it seems that the wing was perfectly parallel to the ground then. That landing should have been a 2 point grease job. Huh!? :face-palm:.

View attachment 100762 View attachment 100763 View attachment 100764
Sorry my friend, I wasn't paying very close attention. What kind of a friend am I anyway? LOL. When you mentioned your flight characteristics of your maiden, the light didn't come on until just now. Duh! Remember back a few months ago with the maiden of the new 3w 106 powered Edge? I don't remember right off if I mentioned it, but that Edge had some very nasty characteristics when it came to setting up for landing. Not to mention the inverted 45 degree incline. I had to admit to myself that no two exact airframes fly identical. My first purple Edge flew fantastic. No weird characteristics. No odd out of the ordinary unexpected surprises. My new recent one however had some terrible flight characteristics that were so bad I almost decided to throw it away. It was absolutely horrible! Upon measuring the incidents on the stab and the main wing I discovered that both of them were right on the money. I then thought that perhaps it was the thrust lines on the engine. I had thought that maybe inadvertently even though it was a brand new airframe that was never flown, perhaps the gentleman that I purchased it from mounted the firewall with up thrust and left thrust. After removing the engine and checking the incidents and thrust on the firewall, I discovered that it was absolutely perfect. So what could cause my nasty terrible horrible flight characteristics? Was all a weight issue. What was different? First Edge had MTW Canisters and 5200x2 LiIon rx. packs. This Edge "HAD" 3600 Lipos and stock exhaust. Apparently enough of a weight difference that it made the new Edge fly crappy. So changing out the DLE 111 with stock exhaust to the ever so slightly ounce or two difference of the dub 106. Then add the weight placement of the new MTW rear dumps. Not a lot of difference between the stock exhaust and canisters, but more over the placement of them in the airframe in relation to the 111 stock exhaust. I left the rx. packs alone. I would not have thought there would be that much difference. Wrong! The new Edge flies like it's on rails, and lands as sweet and gentle like a kitten. Just like Baby. Weight...huh! Can you believe that?! Looking forward to your next flight report after your alteration of weight placement.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I guess what we are finding out is that everything flys but very few fly very well, and it takes a lot of diligence and patience to get it right, and sometimes and most difficult is to know what to change. That is what makes this sight so good and helpful.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Sorry my friend, I wasn't paying very close attention. What kind of a friend am I anyway? LOL. When you mentioned your flight characteristics of your maiden, the light didn't come on until just now. Duh! Remember back a few months ago with the maiden of the new 3w 106 powered Edge? I don't remember right off if I mentioned it, but that Edge had some very nasty characteristics when it came to setting up for landing. Not to mention the inverted 45 degree incline. I had to admit to myself that no two exact airframes fly identical. My first purple Edge flew fantastic. No weird characteristics. No odd out of the ordinary unexpected surprises. My new recent one however had some terrible flight characteristics that were so bad I almost decided to throw it away. It was absolutely horrible! Upon measuring the incidents on the stab and the main wing I discovered that both of them were right on the money. I then thought that perhaps it was the thrust lines on the engine. I had thought that maybe inadvertently even though it was a brand new airframe that was never flown, perhaps the gentleman that I purchased it from mounted the firewall with up thrust and left thrust. After removing the engine and checking the incidents and thrust on the firewall, I discovered that it was absolutely perfect. So what could cause my nasty terrible horrible flight characteristics? Was all a weight issue. What was different? First Edge had MTW Canisters and 5200x2 LiIon rx. packs. This Edge "HAD" 3600 Lipos and stock exhaust. Apparently enough of a weight difference that it made the new Edge fly crappy. So changing out the DLE 111 with stock exhaust to the ever so slightly ounce or two difference of the dub 106. Then add the weight placement of the new MTW rear dumps. Not a lot of difference between the stock exhaust and canisters, but more over the placement of them in the airframe in relation to the 111 stock exhaust. I left the rx. packs alone. I would not have thought there would be that much difference. Wrong! The new Edge flies like it's on rails, and lands as sweet and gentle like a kitten. Just like Baby. Weight...huh! Can you believe that?! Looking forward to your next flight report after your alteration of weight placement.

When Maiden came for "Purple" It was the first ARF, Engine and muffler (ran a pro flow on an EME60 Mejzlik CF 24x8) combo that I could say was perfect right out of the boxes and off the table. Like it was purpose built for that. Did not need to add weight to balance just mounted the batt's accordingly to get it to balance at the location Pilot marks in their planes ( Really like that!). This leads me to believe this extra is designed for a bigger and heavier engine up front. Between the Pilot 330sc (I partly have) and this new Flight Model 330sc trying to make this DL50 work out has been a "Damned if you do Damned if you don't" put the weight in the back put the weight up front adventure I intentionally want to forget :ooh?:. But Nooooooooo! Kelly got to prove a DL50 can whup up on a 60 :lol2:.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
When Maiden came for "Purple" It was the first ARF, Engine and muffler (ran a pro flow on an EME60 Mejzlik CF 24x8) combo that I could say was perfect right out of the boxes and off the table. Like it was purpose built for that. Did not need to add weight to balance just mounted the batt's accordingly to get it to balance at the location Pilot marks in their planes ( Really like that!). This leads me to believe this extra is designed for a bigger and heavier engine up front. Between the Pilot 330sc (I partly have) and this new Flight Model 330sc trying to make this DL50 work out has been a "Damned if you do Damned if you don't" put the weight in the back put the weight up front adventure I intentionally want to forget :ooh?:. But Nooooooooo! Kelly got to prove a DL50 can whup up on a 60 :lol2:.
Ya know? You're very correct. I believe Pilot RC may take a little more time in thinking out cg on their airframes. My lil Purp, and my 100cc Purp. were also perfect out of the box. Actually I believe Baby is the only flyable airframe I own, (9) that is packin' weight in her hinnie. I intentionally added a few ounces to the stab tube so she would 3D a little easier. Otherwise, she's a graceful swan floating on the breezes as she slips through the air.

You're a demanding man there Dimes. 'Spectin' a lil ole fity cc'er to do a man's job.:laughing:

Last edited: