• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

3dbandit

100cc
stangflyer;20034 wrote: Really like the lines and sleekness of the Edge. But the Extra is so damned sexy. I'm determined that a new PAU is in the future but can't decide on which airframe. I know, I know, the Sukhoi is not quite finished and I'm already looking for another addition to the fleet. So I'm beyond help, what can I say? You guys that have them...any differences between the two? By the way, besides my other planes I've got two 50cc'ers, two 42%... so I am most interested in a 36%. And I will probably jump ship for a DA. Thoughts anyone?

I flew a friends edge the other day and it was absolutely awesome.

If you want an all out 3d plane, go for the edge. If you want a freestyle/precision/fast high energy type of plane, I would go for the extra.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
3dbandit;20036 wrote: I flew a friends edge the other day and it was absolutely awesome.

If you want an all out 3d plane, go for the edge. If you want a freestyle/precision/fast high energy type of plane, I would go for the extra.

Hmm....now that you mention it, I do see the difference (although slight) between the two flight characteristics. Ah to heck with it. 36% Extra, (cuz I don't have one) and a 42% Edge. Cuz two 42%'ers is good, three would be better right? Sukhoi, Extra 260 and Edge 540, nothing wrong with my thinking.

3dbandit

100cc
stangflyer;20041 wrote: Hmm....now that you mention it, I do see the difference (although slight) between the two flight characteristics. Ah to heck with it. 36% Extra, (cuz I don't have one) and a 42% Edge. Cuz two 42%'ers is good, three would be better right? Sukhoi, Extra 260 and Edge 540, nothing wrong with my thinking.

Which 42% edge? Single or double canopy? Both?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I was digging through some air show pictures from a few years back for a reference pic and found this. It's a full scale Edge 540 and I talked to the guy. He said "I got the scheme from a model airplane I saw online". That was before I owned any PAU planes but always loved the yellow and blue.

Anyway, thought I'd share, badass looking on a full scale plane.

20330=13033-1290979.jpg
20330=13033-1290979.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Terryscustom;20330 wrote: I was digging through some air show pictures from a few years back for a reference pic and found this. It's a full scale Edge 540 and I talked to the guy. He said "I got the scheme from a model airplane I saw online". That was before I owned any PAU planes but always loved the yellow and blue.

Anyway, thought I'd share, badass looking on a full scale plane.

I think we need a 60% of that one. LOL

well...a few weeks ago I lost my PAU Pitts Challenger due to a faulty electronic issue and subsequent lock out...not happy, but things happen I guess. But, since then I have been wanting another PAU airframe...so I went crazy this time and just placed the order tonight for the 150cc Extra...can't wait to get it and get going on it! I will be chomping at the bit to maiden it...but weather has gone to hell in a hand basket already in Muncie, IN...So could be spring before it happens. :-(

Thanks for putting up with all my questions and concerns before ordering Herve!!! :)

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
well...a few weeks ago I lost my PAU Pitts Challenger due to a faulty electronic issue and subsequent lock out...not happy, but things happen I guess. But, since then I have been wanting another PAU airframe...so I went crazy this time and just placed the order tonight for the 150cc Extra...can't wait to get it and get going on it! I will be chomping at the bit to maiden it...but weather has gone to hell in a hand basket already in Muncie, IN...So could be spring before it happens. :-(

Thanks for putting up with all my questions and concerns before ordering Herve!!! :)
Greg, Dean Lampron won the Nats in Advanced with the same plane on DA-170 + pipes. He can help you with any set up question you may have.
With the 200, and using your very light batteries, you will probably need to install them toward the back, certainly behind the wing tube. Gaby also has a DA 200 on his, but he has the older version, before we lengthened the fuse.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a GP176 on my Extra with dual 7950's on the rudder in the tail and my heavy dual A123's are right above the fuel tank.....but my plane is also the older slightly shorter version.

You are going to love it Greg......(I'll trade you a 176 for that 200 straight up;)).

Edit, had to post this......you bringing this up made me look back through my videos. This is my friend Jake's first pull on the sticks of my Extra. Funny to watch how he went from "getting comfy" to down on the deck in four minutes.......then checking the fuel level by sight at 9 minutes LOL. He's always careful with my stuff so I trust him. Anyway, it was something like 200 degrees out that day and you can see how much power the 176 has on this airframe.

Last edited: