• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Over-Thick Control Surfaces

WMcNabb

150cc
This is very interesting. And you're right, I haven't seen anyone try this in a scale version. Obviously works well on the 330SC. Any full scale planes other than Extra you've seen try this approach?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
None that I'm aware of. Of course in RC, we are trying to get aileron in the propwash for 3D, but not so much on the big boys!

oh58skid

50cc
Yep...they're fairly common these days....I just didn't have any shots that showed it like the SU-31 above.

Oh....and other interesting thing that you can see on the 3-view you posted, is the reverse taper of the ailerons! They get larger in chord toward the tip....(not counting the aerodynamic balance at the tip) :). Haven't seen any RC planes with this.....kinda wish Krill would've done it.
You can see it again in this shot of Mike's 330SC.
View attachment 4755

I wish I would have seen the reverse taper ailerons before I cut out the ailerons on the Jtec 3.1 I am building.

WMcNabb

150cc
image.jpg
image.jpg

No reverse taper on Melissa's Edge, but look closely at the trailing edge on the 2nd photo.