• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Over-Thick Control Surfaces

Wacobipe

100cc
Terryscustom;20105 wrote: If you do a thread and are going to do center point hinges PLEASE copy me when you start the thread so I see it. I've been pondering doing this with foam core wings, even done some sketches but have not pulled the trigger......I'm just inching to do it though.

I WILL be doing a build thread...I'll try to remember to clue you in...but you'll see here it anyway.

Wacobipe

100cc
There is a great center hinging idea over on "the site that shall not be named" that I plan to use as the basis for my design. It is on a Comp-ARF airframe but I think is easily adapted to foam core. I'll perhaps start my build thread shortly and use that design mod as the start of the discussion.

The hinge on that build uses bushings with a Carbon Fiber rod running the length of the control surface, held in with a small cap of epoxy on both ends...permanent but easy to remove if you ever want to by using a Dremel to remove the small epoxy plug.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I've modified my Krill Extra 330SC ailerons (already center-hinged) with those bushings (nylon I believe) and CF rod hinge pins, in place of the stock brass rods. I'm gonna start a build thread on that bird here on GSN shortly.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Earle,

I PM'd Kevin Kimball about the ailerons because I had always understood it that the SS ailerons only made it to the S1-11B and Model 12 (and, unofficially as they were copied by Hale Wallace at Steen Aero Lab, the S1-SS), here's what he wrote back;

[SIZE= 13px][COLOR= #3E454C]the S1T did not have SS ailerons. It had Symmetrical ailerons AKA round ailerons. These were thicker than the wing and were shaped like a snow cone, round nose to the point at trailing edge. The idea was to be easer to seal but the stick loads were really high. So, my buddy Ben Morphew suggested they copy the spades that were on zlin 526 ailerons and that lowered the forces enough to fly. curtis' aerodynamically boosted ailerons, the actual name, were developed for the super stinker and model 12 designs.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yes, I guess I was mnisunderstanding the term "SS". The T did not have SS ailerons, but did have the rounded leading edge that was a little thicker than the wing, as you described and I showed in my crude drawing. The SS ailerons, had the "recessed" hinge point (for lack of a better term, ala Sukhoi, that lets the nose (LE) of the aileron protrude into the slipstream as it's deflected.

Wonder if the SS type would have any benefit for IMAC planes?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I did some work on my Hempel Cub last night that is center hinged and I pulled the rods out to inspect the bushings that were getting sloppy. This is a constant chord and thickness airfoil wing so it's easy. The part that messes me up is to do center hinging on an aerobatic wing is the thickness change also means the aileron LE radius changes which will mean the hinge line cut from the foam core wing will actually be tapered. I see a lot of drawing and math ahead.