• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

SnowDog

Thanks for the add. I am hoping to fly more this year. Had to take a few years off due to my dad being diagnosed with cancer and passing 12 months later. My goal is to fly more often this year. I will post some pics of my planes soon.

LJ

Lawnjockey, glad to have you hear, and my condolences on your dad...I lost my dad in 2011 to lung cancer, sounds like a similar story...a valiant fight, but cancer ultimately won. :(
I like your goal to fly more this year...flying is good for the soul. My dad enjoyed watching me and my buddies fly, so I always think of him when I'm at the field.
Where are you located?
-Mike

E-3

30cc
Hey Mike,

I think we have met before at AMPS. I think Eddie was flying an older 50cc Yak 54 that we named Turd 54... It flew great, but, it was a garage find and just beat to death. Yes Tim is a friend of mine, wish he flew more often. I maybe see him once every few months. Ah, AMPS is a Great Field, its roomy, has electric outlets now, charging tables and a perfect runway. LMAO, I know the ''Old Dude'' to whom you refer, he is the reason we have to spend the extra $$ on a Jtek wrap around pitts muffler and pack that with a wire pad (he has a 100DB calibrated ear so he says).

The Eds

weaser42

30cc
I used to fly at AMPS back in the day. I actually flew there in like 1984 when I built my first trainer. I could not afford membership and would sneak out around 2PM on a weekday in the summer when nobody else was crazy enough to fly in the heat:) Gravel runway, no gates, I would break a wood prop on every landing as I was totally on my own learning. I got back into RC in the 90's and joined AMPS. Del was my instructor, remember guys like Steve, Tony, and Claire. I think I last flew there in the early 2000's as once I moved to the east valley it was a long drive. I remember wanting to get into Heli back then but they were not allowed at AMPS, have they changed that rule?

I got back into RC in 2007 with electric and have not flown Nitro since, and never flew gas.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Mike,

I think we have met before at AMPS. I think Eddie was flying an older 50cc Yak 54 that we named Turd 54... It flew great, but, it was a garage find and just beat to death. Yes Tim is a friend of mine, wish he flew more often. I maybe see him once every few months. Ah, AMPS is a Great Field, its roomy, has electric outlets now, charging tables and a perfect runway. LMAO, I know the ''Old Dude'' to whom you refer, he is the reason we have to spend the extra $$ on a Jtek wrap around pitts muffler and pack that with a wire pad (he has a 100DB calibrated ear so he says).

The Eds

I know who you are! We did meet a couple years ago! Your son is an amazing pilot! Is he competing? Tim has mentioned him a few times and is amazed at his skill level.

Tim is a great guy and I know he is distracted right now with a girl... LOL But he did just pick up Sukhoi and is building it now along with a Top Flight GS P-47 and some other warbird. I can't keep up with his projects. I know Tim will not go out there before 2pm because that guy is a nut job. I've met him and I must say what an embarrassment to the rc community! AMPS needs to get rid of that guy or get him off the board. When members will not go out when he is there then you know you have a real problem.

Tell Tim next time you see him I said Hi! I really miss my bro. :)

:peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm glad the East coast isn't the only place with "Rogue FOGs" spreading paranoia and falsehoods as well as living in fear of precision flying and 3D. What they need is their own private asylum to gather, put their planes together and bitch about the world while never burning an once of glow or God forbid use a mAh of lipo ("those are too dangerous anyway like those blasted 3d crazies"). Hold me back hold me back. So endeth the rant! Sorry.

3dNater

Lol Darren I must have the best club in the country! There are plenty of older guys but they are all really cool and have no problem with me hovering in the middle of the runway or harrier rolling close in and low. Great crowd and always nice :)

dth7

Lol Darren I must have the best club in the country! There are plenty of older guys but they are all really cool and have no problem with me hovering in the middle of the runway or harrier rolling close in and low. Great crowd and always nice :)

Oh, the majority up here are great. I've got two retires in EF 60" Lasers one is 80! He'll maiden this spring. Unfortunately we have a few rotten eggs who refuse to change, even a little bit and they stand out. Other clubs thank goodness. I'm having pretty good luck getting area clubs together. Anticipating a great season. Not sure if Matt and I will pull of a "bash" but we are certainly laying ground work.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm glad the East coast isn't the only place with "Rogue FOGs" spreading paranoia and falsehoods as well as living in fear of precision flying and 3D. What they need is their own private asylum to gather, put their planes together and bitch about the world while never burning an once of glow or God forbid use a mAh of lipo ("those are too dangerous anyway like those blasted 3d crazies"). Hold me back hold me back. So endeth the rant! Sorry.

I enjoyed the rant. LOL

No I am part of the best club in the country. Just kidding but I think we are close. We have a great group of guys.

Oh, the majority up here are great. I've got two retires in EF 60" Lasers one is 80! He'll maiden this spring. Unfortunately we have a few rotten eggs who refuse to change, even a little bit and they stand out. Other clubs thank goodness. I'm having pretty good luck getting area clubs together. Anticipating a great season. Not sure if Matt and I will pull of a "bash" but we are certainly laying ground work.

That's awesome dth7!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I used to fly at AMPS back in the day. I actually flew there in like 1984 when I built my first trainer. I could not afford membership and would sneak out around 2PM on a weekday in the summer when nobody else was crazy enough to fly in the heat:) Gravel runway, no gates, I would break a wood prop on every landing as I was totally on my own learning. I got back into RC in the 90's and joined AMPS. Del was my instructor, remember guys like Steve, Tony, and Claire. I think I last flew there in the early 2000's as once I moved to the east valley it was a long drive. I remember wanting to get into Heli back then but they were not allowed at AMPS, have they changed that rule?

I got back into RC in 2007 with electric and have not flown Nitro since, and never flew gas.

In 1984? Wow, I was a sophomore in HS! Thanks for that flash back… I didn't need it. LOL Where did you go to school and when did you grad? I think they have a heli pad now to the west.. at least I saw a small heli over there a few weeks ago. Nice paved runway (east / west). Nice group of guys.