• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Hi all...Bill Luongo here from the Hudson Valley in upstate NY. Only flying 3 yrs after over 20 years of R/C cars and boats. Stumbled across plans for a scratch built profile called the Super Slo 28, built it, flew it, then couldn't stop flying it. Progressed to a leadfeather Edge, then a Twisted Crack Pitts, to a Hokusei Sbach ( which is for sale right now), to a Skywing 39" edge, to a 3DHS 48" Blue edge, and last but not least, just ordered this morning a Skywing/Wattaplane 48" full fuse ,EPP/Plywood hybrid.
I'm just a sponge for information on 3D flight, looking forward to learning and progressing. Guess I'm still quite a newbie at this so expect a lot of questions.

freddy99

New to GSN!
Hello to all

Hello to all. I am a old guy, 57 years old who used to fly RC when I was a teenager, a very long time ago. Most of my gear in that day was homebrew, built from old kid walkietalkies, scrap wire and old transistor radios. I remember the rubber band powered escapes we often used since servos were not common yet. Electric motors were not practical and batteries were heavy. My first real radio was a citizenship 27mhz 3 channel and the wonderful new servos were 6oz each. It was three channels, about state of the art and cost more then we have in all our radio gear today (and money was worth a lot more).

Well, I got away from the hobby, raised a family and recently (within the past year) got back into it with my son who posts here. I am an engineer (professional engineer practicing civil) and decided I would do the engineering and my son and I would built them. He is the much better pilot!

So I guess I have been in the hobby for either 40+ years or maybe only 3 or 4 depending on how you count.

The current fleet is 14 planes most of which are our own design or modifications or redirection of a kit. We favor the scratch builds and favor our own take on the designs. We tend to get bored with the whole idea of ARF. Our best work seems to be the all-nighters when we find ourselves airbrushing at 2:00 in the morning because we just have to see how it will turn out.

For us this is truly a hobby and a chance to have a lot of time together and to have some fun.

coreman

50cc
Welcome Freddy. us old guys need to stick together to fight off those young thumbs! Great that you and your son are in it together. I had some great years flying/competing with my son years ago before he had his hiatus with raising a family. Enjoy the time!

Jim (56)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I big welcome to Freddy, Craig, Kris and Bill! Thanks very much for joining our community, and taking the time to introduce yourselves. Please enjoy yourselves on the site, and let us know if there is anything that we can do to make your experience any better!

-G

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thank you for the warm welcome, and a special thanks to you Gyro for your attention and mentoring I see evident in the posts I have read. Please be patient with me if I needle my son a bit in a post or two.....
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1086-Predator-drone-crash-fail/page3
I could not resist. :D

Thanks,

freddy99

You're welcome. That is an important part of our philosophy here.

As for the posts, if he was my son, i'd be needling him too! Glad to have a father-son tandem on the site.

-G