• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

SnowDog

It looks like checking in here is customary so I don't want to beak any rules. :)

For those that listen to TheCrashCast, you know my story and my background in RC, but I'll summarize a little here for those that are podcast challenged like I was until just a couple months ago.

I started in RC back in 2005 and have been hooked ever since. I took a small break for about 8 months because I got burnt out on it and had to take a break. I really enjoy the sport of RC and I try to do my best to promote model aviation. I even took a spin at heading up the AMA Leader Members as the chair person, and really enjoyed working with the great folks at AMA, I had to drop out for personal reasons. Now I am focusing on the WAA-08 adventure and the building clinics I am hosting on another forum. I really like to build and actually prefer to build more than fly, but am trying to improve my skils by getting my first true 3D plane which I will be doing a build thread on this forum shortly.

Speaking of other forums, my username is much longer on the other ones and starts with a "M". I wanted to use my first name over there, but it was taken by another Frank way back in 2001 and hasn't been used since 2002 I believe. But I guess they never retire usernames over there. :( And I'm not sure how much longer I'll be posting there since it looks like I have unintentionaly upset the new mod there and may be on borrowed time. Another :(

But I am glad to be here because I believe promoting model aviation is important and we cannot share too much information about out sport. Thanks again for making this forum and I hope I can help out and be a productive member.

Frank

Frank, glad to have you here and glad you got a user name you like! :) You mentioned WAA-08...I flew the Squirt in April 2012 as pilot 335! When you say "focusing on the WAA-08 adventure"...do you mean that you are the Frank (Frank G.) that is organizing and managing a nationwide movement to fly a plane and promote model aviation in each community through which the plane travels?!! If so you are being too modest! WAA-08 is an awesome initiative; thank you for your tireless contribution to promoting model aviation, and again, WELCOME here!

Would you provide information about your podcast for those of us who are interested?

Sincerely, -Mike

For anyone who does not know about WAA-08, here is a link to the website: http://www.waa-08.org/

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Well hello Mike, pilot #335! :D Yup, that is me, guilty as charged. Sorry I didn't make the connection with your username and thank you very much for the kind words. The WAA-08 adventure has turned into an amazing project and is doing a wonderful job of promoting model aviation, that is ONLY happening because of people like yourself who are willing to sacrifice their time and effort.

I was honored the be a guest on TheCrashCast a couple weeks ago. The episode number was 179 and it can be heard here: http://thecrashcast.com/

Thanks for the warm welcome Gary and Mike and I look forward to participating here.

Frank

Lt. Chunk

New to GSN!
Hello All
I'm John (LT. Chunk) from Louisville Ky and I dabble in 3d a little :)
I fly with a few other member here at our local club and try to get to some of the bigger events when work allows.
Including a 4 hour 1 day drive to the Tennessee Huckfest just to watch. Well worth it.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hello All
I'm John (LT. Chunk) from Louisville Ky and I dabble in 3d a little :)
I fly with a few other member here at our local club and try to get to some of the bigger events when work allows.
Including a 4 hour 1 day drive to the Tennessee Huckfest just to watch. Well worth it.

Welcome John! Happy to have you here!

Mike P

30cc
Hello all
I am from Kennett Square PA started flying rc in 1999 at one time I had 37 airplanes (this hobby is very addicting) I have only 10 left of those only 3 are flyable . I had given up the hobby about 5 years ago because I had some medical problems that affected my hand eye coordination and reflexes. I crashed 9 aircraft in one season before I came to the realization that I just could not do this any more. Well 2 years ago my 8 yr old son asked if he could fly one of those old airplanes so I reinstalled the GP realflight G2 on the computer and told him when you can fly the sim and land on the center of the runway I would let him fly my old trainer. after 5 weeks on the sim every day he seemed to be pretty good at it so I rejoind the AMA and the club I used to belong to. We went to the field I took the plane off trimmed it flipped the switch on the buddy box and let him have at it. he's been hooked ever since Ive even started flying a little myself but my reflexes are not what they used to be so I just fly the trainer and the smaller sport planes and he rips the big birds. it is awsome to see them fly again after collecting dust for so many years, the best part is he flies better than I ever did and we are having a blast .
Mike

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hello all
I am from Kennett Square PA started flying rc in 1999 at one time I had 37 airplanes (this hobby is very addicting) I have only 10 left of those only 3 are flyable . I had given up the hobby about 5 years ago because I had some medical problems that affected my hand eye coordination and reflexes. I crashed 9 aircraft in one season before I came to the realization that I just could not do this any more. Well 2 years ago my 8 yr old son asked if he could fly one of those old airplanes so I reinstalled the GP realflight G2 on the computer and told him when you can fly the sim and land on the center of the runway I would let him fly my old trainer. after 5 weeks on the sim every day he seemed to be pretty good at it so I rejoind the AMA and the club I used to belong to. We went to the field I took the plane off trimmed it flipped the switch on the buddy box and let him have at it. he's been hooked ever since Ive even started flying a little myself but my reflexes are not what they used to be so I just fly the trainer and the smaller sport planes and he rips the big birds. it is awsome to see them fly again after collecting dust for so many years, the best part is he flies better than I ever did and we are having a blast .
Mike

Mike, happy to have you here on the site! I'm looking forward to when I can get my daughter onto the sim and out to the field. :)

-G

Aerosi

30cc
Hi everyone, I'm Nik from AZ...been flying for a few years and just started getting serious with the 3D stuff about a year ago. I hope to graduate from "embarrassing" skills to "whatever" by year-end. It's just starting to get nice here, so I'm planning on making it to the field as often as my pregnant wife will tolerate....glad to join and I look forward to reading through all the knowledge and contributing when I can. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how this site grows and becomes a "standard" among the 3D community.

Let me also just say how much reading about everyone's experiences has helped me (and many others) in this hobby, and websites like this make it possible and add so much value to our rc community. I have definitely saved a ton of time and money from all the advice I've picked up along the way..so, in advance, I'll say THANKS to everyone!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hi everyone, I'm Nik from AZ...been flying for a few years and just started getting serious with the 3D stuff about a year ago. I hope to graduate from "embarrassing" skills to "whatever" by year-end. It's just starting to get nice here, so I'm planning on making it to the field as often as my pregnant wife will tolerate....glad to join and I look forward to reading through all the knowledge and contributing when I can. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how this site grows and becomes a "standard" among the 3D community.

Let me also just say how much reading about everyone's experiences has helped me (and many others) in this hobby, and websites like this make it possible and add so much value to our rc community. I have definitely saved a ton of time and money from all the advice I've picked up along the way..so, in advance, I'll say THANKS to everyone!

Hey Nik! We're really happy to have you here! It's that kind of positive and community based culture we're trying to cultivate. Again, welcome, and thank YOU.

3dwhitey

New to GSN!
Howdy, I'm Dan from central Ohio, was following with the hillbilly huckers on that other site and thought I would checkout this great site. Been flying for 10 years but it always looks like its my first time. Started 3d with a U-Can-DO 3d slimer in 2002 and then got my act together two years ago with the Buck Huck and built a 71 Slick last spring and been flying it ever since. 3d skills are slowly creeping up on me but most of the time i climb to a 100 ft, slam the sticks in the corners and see what happens! I look forward to making this site a daily web-stop.

njswede

150cc
Glad to have you here, Dan! We're a lot of folks here in your exact situation, i.e. slowly but surely acquiring our 3D skills. This site is great, because you have the perfect mix of people in the exact boat as us, together with some extremely experienced professional and semi-professional 3D-pilots who are eager to help. Again, great to have you as a part of that mix!

So you like the 71 Slick, huh? I'm debating between that and a 70 Velox for my winter project.