• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub build

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Engine is mounted, I've got problems everywhere. I have a choke to deal with, throttle arm is now on other side of carb, I still need to squeeze the ignition in somewhere. Perfect! Lots of problems to solve.......

1688947355190895507505.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
If it makes you feel any better I built a CG Super Chipmunk and went through three nitro engine swaps... (TT75 2cy, Saito72, Saito100) ended up selling it to a buddy WHO CONVERTED IT TO ELECTRIC :lol2: before it ever flew. He let me fly it!

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
This is going to be a challenge. Throttle arm is not in a good spot, I don't even know if the heat from the engine would be an issue. Obviously a mini servo would be needed.

A quick aluminum extension that cut on my lathe and is superglued on the servo wheel is what you're looking at.

IMG-1487.jpg

IMG-1486.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Time for an STC for a PA-18 wing tanks. . .
It's hard for me to envision the fuel tank size/style to see what you're dealing with.
Bellcrank on the bottom so you can run a linkage under the floor to under a seat for the throttle servo location. . .?
Cut a hole in the firewall to recess the servo a bit for clearance?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The throttle arm (and angle) is in a tough location. I might squeeze the fuel tank over the top of a throttle push rod. Or maybe a flexible cable.

20230715_140744.jpg

20230715_140921.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
To me the easiest solution would be to get a set screw throttle arm like this:

Orient it so the servo pulls the throttle arm down towards the rudder pedals
Install the throttle servo on the back side of the firewall below the fuel tank on it's side and vertically
You could make it more easily removable with something like this:

129A6C1C-8BA3-4C54-A558-BAA139636596.jpeg
29C9A545-028B-45EA-8DF1-BDF98615B60D.jpeg

Last edited: