• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub build

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The pinking tape sold by F&M is just about 3 mm, would be great for making odd sized patches and such. Just wondering why you are cutting the tape rather than buying from F&M? Each rib takes about 4' of tape, that is a lot of cutting.

F&M?

Just starting research. Adding your suggestion to the list. I'll find the 3mm shear link and post it here.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Making a rudder servo (batteries, elevator servo?) station tonight.

I might make this accessible from the back seat or underneath.

20230131_194431.jpg

20230131_203911.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
F&M Enterprises
I found the 3 mm shears on Amazon and have them on order. I looked for quite a while for shears with smaller pinks but never could find anything. I even spoke with Chip Mull at the Toledo show, he said that had a pair that he had bought at an event in Las Vegas but could never find them again to sale. I'm kind of excited about these and will make the recovering of the Champ better. These reinforcement patches will now have pinked edges

IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The pinking tape sold by F&M is just about 3 mm, would be great for making odd sized patches and such. Just wondering why you are cutting the tape rather than buying from F&M? Each rib takes about 4' of tape, that is a lot of cutting.

So is this tape sold by F&M already pinked/sheared?

TonyHallo

150cc
Yes it does. The card is old, I believe they are located in California? I thought most were leaving CA and going to TX and Fl?
For 33% I use 3/4" for the ribs, 1" for longeron reinforcement and edges, and 2" for wing leading edges. You buy the tapes the same place you can get the fabric and covering liquids. They recently began offering the 2" tape for models, the photo below I used 1" tape for the leading edge.

pinking.jpg

000_0631.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
There are simulated stitches done with a T pin and white glue. If you click on the photo and zoom in you can just see the stitches. That wing was painted however it fish eyed. I removed the covering and reinstalled, the wings are sprayed with Poly Spray silver now. I didn't want to put the top coat on until I modified my air system. That happened about 3 years ago and I never got back on the Super Cub. I was actually building it for a dear friend and he has left us, he lost interest in scale and war birds and began flying ARF from Aeroworks, of course I assembled all those for him, he did keep me busy! The photo is from 2004 and it is still not painted! When I paint the Champ fuselage I hope the paint those wings when the spray booth is set up. Next winter I hope to recover the fuselage and tail, then install the Roto 85 FS from the Cherokee. When I built the the plane he bought a 3W 55 CS which was installed and never ran, it sits on my shelf.