• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! need help with charger/psu purchase

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Yes you can use any paraboard. You will have to change the balance wiring settings as FMA's balance wiring is different than anyone else's.

Yes this is true but you do need to use an adapter cable instead of the standard powerboard cable as the plug at the charger is different.

True. I just use the balance board that came with the charger. My paraboard plugs right into the 6s port. My paraboard is EC3 connectors, but I also use it as a parallel balance harness when I'm parallel charging batteries with other connectors also. I have several squid type parallel harnesses from ProgressiveRC.

wedoitall

you guys that use the PowerLabs, did you get the MPA paraboard or did you use another? that MPA looks to make charging alil safer.

wedoitall

yea they do look sweet, looks to have some safety features to protect your lipo and to protect you from your lipo

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I started out with the standard power board then added the MPA board for the extra safety. I have blown some of the balance connectors before on a standard board. It is pricy however

Manta

70cc twin V2
PL8 is the most easiest/powerful charger ive used. I have even ran a few cycles on some older packs and it was able to wake em up a little. PL6 looks to be jam up and jelly tight too. I want an mpa board but so far been to cheap/broke to get one lol.

wedoitall

went with the PL6, now im just waiting on a PSU. im not in a big hurry tho, still dont have my MXS built yet.

I've been looking at getting a PL8 to set up for multi-parallel charging. Presently making do (and rather nicely) with a pair of the dual channel CellPro 10S units, and using them to charge four (up to 5S) packs at the same time. Of course each CellPro 10S will handle up to a single 10S pack, and they'll do balance port only charging up to 3A. H'm, according to Revolectrix's site the 10S appears to have been discontinued in favor of the 10XP (about the same specs. however, just improved).

For a DC source I've had good luck with converted computer server power supplies. Inexpensive and work really well.

hone

150cc
The powerlab chargers are great. If you get the PL8 i doubt you'd ever need to get another charger.

I have a PL6 and i absolutely LOVE it!