• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! need help with charger/psu purchase

wedoitall

cant make up my mind on the PL, icharger or hyperion. could you guys help? gonna get a solidhobby psu so thats done. i would like to get the charger really soon! like this weekend.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I had all three models of the iCharger and was happy with them all. I recently sold my last iCharger and went with the PowerLab 8. So far it hands down is the best charger I have ever used. For the money the iChargers are very good though.

SnowDog

I use the iCharger 306b and it works great for me...can't beat the price either.

Like Ray says, the PL8 is a great unit as well...Jeremy even sells these on his web site along with that Power24 you mentioned.

It's all about how much money you have to spend. ;)

wedoitall

im kinda a bells and whistles guy. whats the difference between the PL and Icharger 306b? other than the amps and watts?

can i pick my input voltage on both units?

I have the PL6 and absolutely love it. Started to get the PL8 but decided to save some money and am glad I did. I have never even got close to maxing this thing out. This should be the last charger I ever need (famous last words)

Here are specs for a PL6 straight off Revolectrix site:

For Battery types: Lithium Polymer (1s to 6s balanced, 1s to 2s unbalanced), Lithium Ion (1s to 6s balanced, 1s to 2s unbalanced), Lithium Manganese (1s to 6s balanced, 1s to 2s unbalanced), A123 (LiFePO4) (1s to 6s balanced, 1s to 8s unbalanced), NiCd (1s to 19s), NiMH (1s to 19s), 6v, 12v, 24v Lead Acid batteries (Flooded, Gel, AGM, SLA)

Pack capacity: 20 mAh to 360Ah

Input voltage: 10-32VDC, reverse polarity protected

Input current: 1A to 40A, software limited

Power conversion: Synchronous DC/DC converter, supports multiple switcher frequencies of 31.25 kHz, 62.5 kHz, 125 kHz; user selectable by preset, 85% to 93% efficiency depending on output current

Output battery charge current: Adjustable range 10mA to 40A, limited by 40A input current*

Output battery discharge current: Internal discharge 10mA to 8A, 50W max Regenerative discharge 10mA to 40A, 1000W max**

Continuous max output power: 408W @ +12VDC input, 1000W @ +30VDC

Cell balancing: Resolution 78uV (16 bit) for 1s-8s Li or A123 (LiFePO4) balanced charging

Voltage calibration: Cell voltage measurements are factory calibrated to a standard traceable to NIST; calibration is to +/- 6 mV

Current calibration: Charge current is factory calibrated on a 4A standard; calibration is to +/- 1mA

Measurement accuracy:
Voltage resolution: 78uV (16 bit)
Voltage tolerance: +/- 6mV
Charge current: +/- 1%
Capacity added to pack: +/- 1%
Percent capacity (“Fuelâ€): +/- 5% (with accurate fuel table defined for battery being charged)

Serial data output: 19.2kbps, 8 bits, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit, no parity

Data integrity: Checksum, CRC checking

Cooling fans: Single, 13 CFM, 50mm diameter

Heat sink: Internal 120W aluminum, thin finned

Output battery connector: “Cellpro†compatible, JST PA series, 9 position

LCD: 2 line, 16 character, light grey/blue backlit

Size: 5.70" x 5.57" x 3.40"

I have not used an iCharger so I have no input on them, but several at my field are using them and really like them. Like has been mentioned above the PL's are more expensive than the iChargers, However when I bought mine there was only $30 difference between the PL6 and the equivelant iCharger.

I say if its down to these two and money isn't the deciding factor, pick the one you like the best they are both great units.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

what else do i need to buy with the PL chargers. i just noticed that it doesnt come with everything ill need. :(

do you know if i can use my existing epbuddy paraboad with the PL chargers?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
im kinda a bells and whistles guy. whats the difference between the PL and Icharger 306b? other than the amps and watts?

can i pick my input voltage on both units?

You set a table on the PL8 on limites to your input power supply and or battery, this way the charger will never demand more than your PS or battery can provide. On the battery you also choose what kind of battery you are using so it tracks the power coming out of it so you won't run the battery down so you won't start your car.

Some things I found before I bought mine
~PowerLAB 8 does a CC /CV discharge to storage so that all cells are extremely close to 3.85 per cell, with the iCharger you have to experiment with a % override till you get the 3.85
~FMA chargers use a true Kelvin system to measure IR, there is no more accurate means available.
~The PowerLab has much better software and totally configurable with the computer software 25 customizable presets.
~ PowerLab has a much higher balancing current which speeds up the charging process regardless of your termination setting. (PL8 = 1000mA and the 306B <500mA)
~PL8 discharge power 100W and the 306B is 80W
~40A output vs 30A
~PowerLab has fantastic graphing built into the software, iChargers use 3rd party German software to view logs, not as useable or complete as the Powerlab software.
~iChargers report the IR value faster than the PL8 but not substantially longer

wedoitall

i talked to a guy at epbuddy, he said eventho icharger reports IR faster the PowerLabs is quite abit more accurate.

Im trying to think of this as an investment. plan on using this for years. if i ever have to get out of 3d flying, ill have bigger problems than just not flying to deal with.

thanks Buckeye Av8tor:)p) you helped me make up my mind. now just have to figure who im gonna buy it from.

think if i need 8s ill just do 2-4s, but prolly just go gas when i go that big of airframe. i think the PL6 and PL8 is the same other than cell count

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
This has been a good thread. My next charger will most likely be a PL6 when I get some cash set aside.

Remember Quantum Hobby has a discount code for 3DRCFORUMS members. Also I think there is free shipping on orders over $99.

do you know if i can use my existing epbuddy paraboad with the PL chargers?

Yes you can use any paraboard. I use the one I bought from HK (Shhh, it was before I knew better). You will have to change the balance wiring settings as FMA's balance wiring is different than anyone else's.

Another plus for the PL6 is the PB (lead acid) charge routine. It is better than my dedicated automotive battery chargers. I don't even use them anymore, I do all of my lead acid charging with my PL6.