• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

my lawn darts!!!

bigblueswope;7985 wrote: Well we can all say that [MENTION=77]orthobird[/MENTION] has done his part to stimulate the economy...

there is more!!!

got to go do some honey do things, then i will back to post more...

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
We've all had them. Here is one of mine.

8014=2992-Sukhoi oops.jpg
8014=2992-Sukhoi oops.jpg

BalsaDust

Tom at least someone got some use out of the crashed SU26 but it still makes me cringe everytime I see the picture of the one design all wadded up. Wish I could have been in the hobby at thst time to see it fly.

bigblueswope;8011 wrote: What, are you trying to make us cry?

OH NO!!! i already done cried over them. i try to make a positive out of it. each of these crashes became a "crime scene investigation" for me, whether it was pilot error or something that went wrong, i lost sleep trying to figure why it crashed, and then moved on to make sure that does not happen again. for example, that 3w extra, i had a 170 cc motor in it, i always flew it with a 32 x 10 prop. also, the stabs had two servos per stab. about the 24th flight or so, i was still trying to dial it in, the airplane had a tendency to come in fast for landings, and when i would hit the elevator, it would balloon up high. it was a real handful to land. it weighed about 52 pounds, and i went ahead and cut out as much weight as possible over time, slowly making adjustments. it was still just slightly tail heavy, so that is when i decided to take out one stab servo out. i wanted to help with the "tail" heaviness, so i removed one servo per stab. it had a BLS 157 servo, and it was HV system. then, after removing the stab servo, it had a much better tendency to not balloon, but it was till coming in fast. then i placed a 30 x 13 prop. now, it was flying good and landing became much easier. so now, i take that bird to a fly in, and there are over 100 people there, and i was flying this bird, making some rookie mistakes, like having very poor throttle management. now that I am doing IMAC, i avoid ever going WOT unless in uplines, well, i did not know that back then, and i did a maneuver, that somehow, must have disconnected one of the turnbuckles from the right elevator half, within 1/10th of a second, the flutter resulted in high stresses at the tail, and then the tail ripped off, still attached by the pull pull cables, then the airplane became limp. i was able to shut the motor down, and the airplane landed canopy side down into a lake, away from everyone. no one was hurt (luckily for me and all others).. so now, i pay a lot of attention to set up and equipment to use for ball links. suffice it to say, the ball link on that side was from a great planes 35% kit. it was not a Dubro or other type that comes in a 3DHS or EF kit.

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
cbarnes0061;8020 wrote: Tom at least someone got some use out of the crashed SU26 but it still makes me cringe everytime I see the picture of the one design all wadded up. Wish I could have been in the hobby at thst time to see it fly.
She was a sweet plane. Had just switched most of my hanger from Futaba 72Mhz to Spektrum 2.4 Ghz. the Rx pins are looser on the Spektrum than on the old Futaba and that photo was the result. Watched her go in with no control. Was trying to move things all the way to terrafirma.

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
orthobird;8034 wrote: tom, what happened with those two?
Just told the story of the One Design right before you asked.

The Sukhoi was all dumb thumbs. Rolled out for take off (smoke on), as soon as it broke ground I rolled it inverted over the runway, I then pulled instead of pushed the elevator. When inverted, down is up and up is expensive.