• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Moving to High Voltage

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I have Fromeco Li-Ions in my planes. 91" Extra has 2 2600 packs. 35% PAU Edge has 2 5200 packs. Lots of stick bangin and never an issue.

I'm in the same boat...going HV for the first time after many years of A123 power. I also chose the Glacier 2S 3600mah rx lipos because I really like their 3s 450 packs that use in my crack :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've been using Li-Ion Relions in all my planes. On my 260, I use two 5200 7.4 into Smart-Fly. One 2600 7.4 for the ignition straight to ignition module. Last weekend I flew her more aggressive than I have in the past. After five 12 minute flights, I used just shy of 3100 mah's between the two rx. packs. (3083 to be exact) and 453 for the ignition pack. Don't know if these are good numbers or pretty much the norm. I like the comfortable feeling I get with this set up.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I got a couple glacier 2s 2600 packs for fathers day. They replaced a couple hyperion batteries in a 89" Slick. They are not only holding up well, but are a great value.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Anyone here using 7955's on LiPo's?

A guy at our field last week went to LiPo on 7955"s and on the second flight the rudder servo toasted.

He was lucky.

Coincidence, or just too many jigawatts?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
bob_nj;19499 wrote: Anyone here using 7955's on LiPo's?

A guy at our field last week went to LiPo on 7955"s and on the second flight the rudder servo toasted.

He was lucky.

Coincidence, or just too many jigawatts?

According to some people I have talked to, they say they are running 7.4 to the HS 7955TG servos and having no problem. We all know our servos will take a little over the maxed out voltage advertised by the servo manufacturers. Yet, HV is not a little over the max. There may be some out there that are using regulators to keep the voltage down to a more useable voltage and that could be why they are not having too many issues. I do know of a couple of guys that are running A123's with their 7955's. I've also heard that the new HS 7955TG was redesigned to take the HV. According to HItec RCD, the HS 7955TG is a 4.8-6.0 volt servo. To only lose a rudder servo due to over powering it, is very lucky. I would stay with the manufacturers specifications.

HS 7955TG

Motor Type: Coreless

Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing

Speed (4.8V/6.0V): 0.19 / 0.15

Torque oz./in. (4.8V/6.0V): 250 / 333

Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 18.0 / 24.0

Size in Inches: 1.57 x 0.78 x 1.45

Size in Millimeters: 39.88 x 19.81 x 36.83

Weight ounces: 2.29

Weight grams: 64.92

For what it's worth. Other than one Savox 1231 on the rudder of my Slick, (absolutely LOVE that servo) I've been using nothing other than Hitec servos for years. Using the correct input voltage as specified by Hitec. I've had Zero failures on every servo I've used.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I like the HiTecs too.

Got tired years ago of the gear slop in the other brands.

Like the programming feature too.

Yeah, HiTecs have their issues, but so does most anything else in this hobby.

Take care

Bob

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
ChickenBalls;19575 wrote: I've been running 7955's on 2s unregulated with no issues at all.

No kidding? That is very impressive. I guess I am just chicken s*&# to go above the comfort level of recommended specs. LOL....