• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

More ZDZ awesomeness, 224 Quad

So I went up to see Joe at ZDZ USA to hang out and pick up a couple things, and he is just finishing up repairs on an old 100ng for a customer. He says he needs to test run a new engine for our buddy Brad and wants to get it mounted to his test stand and ready to go for tomorrow and he pulls out a new 224 quad. See, Joe's boss has a rule of no running engines after 8, and its about 9:30. In the back of my mind I'm thinking it would be so cool to see that thing run. I can see the devil on his left shoulder saying "go ahead, just run it for a minute, it will be ok", and the angel on his right shoulder saying, well who am I kidding, there was no angel, at that point, I knew it was ON! :devil-dance: So we get it mounted to the stand and just about have everything hooked up when the boss calls. Somehow I knew I was gonna be the one in trouble for being the excuse to start this thing. At a little after 10, we have it ready to go and decide to run it in his build room, cuz it's insulated and will keep the noise down. We make sure its clear in front of the engine. I start bumping the prop back and forth and it primes in about 5 seconds! Joe flips on the ignition, I give 3 flips with choke on and it lights up. Open the choke, 3 more flips and it fires right up and settles into a nice, smooth idle. I come around to the back of the test stand and he slowly brings it to half throttle and then runs it wide open, and it instantly peaks out. Revs it up a few times and the response is instant every time. He holds it at full throttle for a seconds until stuff started blowing off the shelf behind us.
This thing is so smooth and power full. Spinning a 34x13 like it was nothing. Oh, and it was running on headers only. The sound is amazing and actually wasn't as loud as we expected. Joe called to see how much trouble I, I mean he was in. The only reason the Boss heard it was because she was out on the back porch.
Can't wait to see this thing in Brad's little Biplane :way_to_go:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
big-drooling-smiley-emoticon.gif
Wait, hold the phone!! No pics??

Hmmmmmmmmm, I am looking for a 4 banger for my Pau/Dalton for IMAC next year. Just when I was thinking I was limited to DLE or DA. I was looking at the 3W quad but she is 13lbs. this looks to weigh in at 10lbs. I suspect that is bare engine but not to bad. Was hoping to buy a used DA 200 or new DLE due to budget restrictions but hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Might just have to keep my eye on this.