• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

Alky6

150cc
I am thinking the valleyview or dle 20cc. I currently have a DLE 20cc on my other Aerobeez profile and it does great, but can be a little persnickaty (if that is a word) about fine tuning. I am used to it though so no big deal. I have read so many great things about the VV 20cc engine.
Ha ha, yeah, word in my book. I have the vv20 and the 40. 20 has yet to be run. Been sitting in a box for a couple of years. Looking forward to getting it finished. Wings almost done now. Just have to add the rib caps on the bottom and then finish of the ailerons.

Alky6

150cc
Wings are done (sans ailerons). Pic is of the right wing.
Weighed some things up at this point:
Wings and wing tube (sans ailerons) - 21.02 oz
Fuse - 29.85
Tail pieces - 5.01
Engine complete - 32.58
Total = 88.46 oz or 5.5 pounds.
Not too bad at this point. Still need to make some landing gear out of aluminum & find some light wheels.
Shooting for under 8 pounds.

IMG_3813.JPG

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Wings are done (sans ailerons). Pic is of the right wing.
Weighed some things up at this point:
Wings and wing tube (sans ailerons) - 21.02 oz
Fuse - 29.85
Tail pieces - 5.01
Engine complete - 32.58
Total = 88.46 oz or 5.5 pounds.
Not too bad at this point. Still need to make some landing gear out of aluminum & find some light wheels.
Shooting for under 8 pounds.
Are you going to use carbon fiber rod for wing tube, or aluminum? I have aluminum, but not sure as I have had aluminum wing tubes bend before. I just basically have to hing and cover mine at this point.

Alky6

150cc
Are you going to use carbon fiber rod for wing tube, or aluminum? I have aluminum, but not sure as I have had aluminum wing tubes bend before. I just basically have to hing and cover mine at this point.
Aluminum wing tube. Bending - might need a bigger diameter? What kind of hinges are you planning on using?

BalsaDust

I think you will destroy the wing before the tube bends in this plane. My 55cc edge profile has a 3/4" wing tube in it that is aluminum. Would rather it be aluminum as well. Would rather the tube bend and me see the wings with dihedral in them over a CF tube that will break. Under too much load and in 10 flights of wringing it out I ain't bent it yet.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Aluminum wing tube. Bending - might need a bigger diameter? What kind of hinges are you planning on using?
I was going to use Robart pin hinges cause I have a lot of them, but changed my mind and will go with Dubro flat hinges. Once you drill a hole for the Robart hinges there is not enough meat left to suit my tastes, so the flat hinges will do.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I think you will destroy the wing before the tube bends in this plane. My 55cc edge profile has a 3/4" wing tube in it that is aluminum. Would rather it be aluminum as well. Would rather the tube bend and me see the wings with dihedral in them over a CF tube that will break. Under too much load and in 10 flights of wringing it out I ain't bent it yet.
I think you are right about the aluminum, although I have never had any issues with carbon. The aluminum tube is certainly a lot cheaper. I was looking at the wing tube sleeve and aluminum tube should hold up fine for this setup.