• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
LoL,  sounds like a party in the shop!  

Hysol 9642 the one hour set kind, plenty of time to fiddle with it and mess it up.LoL 

Used hysol in most of the build for the frame, did some hinge stock tests with 5 different kinds of glue and exopy , hysol and weld bond were pretty close  in strength and pull tests but tradition says use epoxy on hinges.

Alky6

150cc
IMAC-FANATIC said
LoL,  sounds like a party in the shop!  

Hysol 9642 the one hour set kind, plenty of time to fiddle with it and mess it up.LoL 

Used hysol in most of the build for the frame, did some hinge stock tests with 5 different kinds of glue and exopy , hysol and weld bond were pretty close  in strength and pull tests but tradition says use epoxy on hinges.
Thanks! I see a lot of references to Hysol, just don't know which folks are using. 

In regard to the hinging, assuming gorilla glue was one you tried? If so, how did it fare? Thanks for all the updates! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!

Oh, fat fingered the thanks button and got the wrong post.... So thanks for that one too. LOL

-Paul

IMAC FANATIC

Used gorilla glue/poly glue and it has good adhesion, jist seems to me that even without water the stuff foams and is difficult to clean up well, the hinges are going into a foam/ balsa pocket and find that 3 marks/ lines squirted into the end of the hole from epoxy syringe , then twist the robart into place, fill the hole all the way to the shoulder of the hinge without much mess at all. I think the only place I actually used poly glue was gluing the carbon sockets into the wing / elevators and installing the servo boxes that I cut out too generously,everything else has been hysol ,weldbond and g2 epoxy. west systems for sheeting. 

Alky6

150cc
I had the similar experience as you with the poly glue. Haven't tried anything different, yet. The Hysol you reference with the mixing tube sounds much better. Especially on blind hole installations. Thanks for the info.

-Paul

IMAC FANATIC

Welcome, i find that 3ml of hysol in the holes to be the perfect amount with the large robart hinges. Use a drill stop so all the holes are same depth too. Have the hysol E-120hp , but its hard to justify using it from the cost of a tube.