• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR Axis 3 axis gyro for airplanes

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
I was out of town for work this week and just got back to the Axis setup in my 73" AJ Aircraft Laser 230z.

I updated my XG11 with the latest software which added some better screens supporting the XBus setup and the Axis Gyro controls.

I started by copying over the Laser 230z model into a new model and changed the ailerons to a normal setup with no mate. I also turned on XBus and the gyro in the XBus menu.

Next I installed the AXIS Gyro Assistant software on my laptop.

The directions are pretty good and the gyro setup is very flexible. I have the gains setup per flight mode. It also allows you to change between heading hold and rate mode per axis, meaning you can set aileron, rudder, and elevator gains and mode (heading lock or rate) independent of each other per flight mode and gain. So, on my XG11 I have 6 flight modes and can setup 6 sets of gain and gyro mode combinations...

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Take your time and walk through the setup.

Here's a shot of the gyro in the plane.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
I also setup the gain adjustments independently by using the trim switches to adjust the gains in flight.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
I flew the AJ Aircraft Laser today, 4 flights.

I started with a gain of 30% on all surfaces in the sequence mode in Rate only. Then adjusted independently in flight... Unbelievable.

In the 3D mode I have it set in heading hold mode. I started at 50% gain for all surfaces again, and adjusted them independentlyin flight. It holds knife edge hands off and feels very natural...

This thing is really great, it feels really natural... Just like you are flying on a calm day. I was in a bumpy crosswind and in rate mode it just took all of the bounce out of it and I never felt like I was fighting it at all.

I'll be ordering one for the Futura jet next!

Reactions: Jlc

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
naw... just put in a rules change.

We will have them legal for F3S in the US.... next thing you know you can't use digital servos and CF propellers. Lol