• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Joe Smith quits 3DHS!

AKfreak

150cc
Ok!!!!! Jesshhhh, I was asking for clarification. Damn Joe, you have been a little snappy towards me lately. You mad at me?

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
He flat out said he wanted to fly more and not deal with the business side of the hobby. What's so hard to understand about that?

gyro

GSN Contributor
He flat out said he wanted to fly more and not deal with the business side of the hobby. What's so hard to understand about that?

Jason, I personally think that Joe's explanation is a polite way of splitting from your first and biggest sponsor, without telling any of the true reasons for the split.

I think it's fair to say that Joe handled the split with respect and professionalism, however the real reasons are probably being hidden.

I also think Joe will be announcing a new airframe sponsor within a short period of time. Since he's selling all his airplanes, (POST) I think it'll be hard to "get back to flying" with nothing to fly...

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Speculate all you want but consider life...

Going to college requires focus
College is expensive
Sponsorship doesn't pay for college
Focusing on a future career is much more important
The RC industry is changing with Quique and Andrew entering a very tight market
3DHS has not been the same for a while and I don't even see Arron around much anymore
Daniel is also off living life beyond RC and flying full scale

As a 3D dad, I know first hand that Tom has no time for flying right now. He finished high school with an AA college degree as well, and to focus on that, he told his sponsors last year that he could not honestly dedicate the time to represent them. Now, he's flying full scale, full time, training seven days a week, and should have his commercial license by April 2015, when he'll be only 19 years old. Then two more years of college to finish a BS in Aviation. If you think college is expensive, take a look at the costs for flight school, all the certificates and licenses, and 1,500 hours at the stick. After all that, he may have plenty of time to get back to the RC game, but this is a time where focus and dedication to other things are very important.

I'm sure Joe and Daniel are going to attach their new endeavors with the same level of focus and dedication it took to get to the top of their game in RC. Fine young men like this must take this time to establish themselves as individuals outside RC, then see what happens after that work is done. I may be wrong, and Joe may turn up with another company, but unless they are offering a free ride to college, I hope I'm not. I'm sure that everyone that has a business in RC would advise young talented men to get a day job, and keep it. A friend in the industry told me that the way to make a small fortune in RC is to start with a large one. Probably the best advice you can give these young men.

Last edited by a moderator: