• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D JAG's 35% Carden Edge

JAG

70cc twin V2
Worked on cutting some weight today. This should really help. I may take a little out of the elevator control surfaces as well.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

JAG

70cc twin V2
Who ever built this plane used way to much glue. What I took out of the rudder was 1.6oz, and 1.3oz from the fuse bottom. I also pulls out 1.2oz of wire way, ply, and old plastic antennae guides. Then cut out the broken pilot, that was 4oz. Removed an extra switch for 0.7oz. So that's 8.8oz all aft of the CG. The wheel pants were busted in the crash I'll be runny no panties for now. Those were a heavy 7.3oz, forward of the CG, but not much.

I still have some more weight to take out. Will probably do some work on the Elevator control surfaces tomorrow. I'm trying to stay away from the fuse sides for now since I really dont want to do a full recover right now. All the holes so far are easily patched with the solid red.

JAG

70cc twin V2
Did a little work on the elevators today. These holes took out 0.6oz per half. So that's another 1.20z off the tail.

I got both of them cut out, but only one covered. I only got one side of the other one covered.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sensei

30cc
Maybe there is a lighter tail wheel setup available, not a bling, bling one, just a lighter one. Does this have a carbon, or an aluminum stab tube? There may be an advantage by going with a little thinner wall carbon tube over the stock aluminum tube if that is what still being used. Thinning the foam in the turtle deck to around 1/2" thickness throughout can reduce allot of weight aft of the C/G. Trimming out just the canopy and sheeting the canopy deck, then covering with Monokote and gluing on the canopy is also a great way to save weight aft on the C/G. One last thing, any weight you remove from the wing and ailerons is still generally aft of the C/G and going overall in the right direction.

I do hope you meet your goal and wish you the very best,

Bob

Reactions: JAG