• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

It's about time to ask... What Can We Do Better!

SleepyC

150cc
You need a Miss Ashley

Honestly I think it's really cheesy and stupid to have someone like that. Is Ashley a nice person, sure is and I mean no disrespect to her. I know her personally and to her it's simply a paycheck. And I can never be mad at someone for trying to pay the bills!

The "obviously hired" model is cool for beer companies and such, but the RC hobby is a family oriented thing. Like I bet 99.9999999% of wives who don't participate in the hobby never worry about their husbands being at the RC field. NOW, start sending a bunch of models to shows and see what happens. It's just... we'll cheesy.

Also, with the amount of sites and places you can go to see that sort of stuff I just find it dumb we need to add it here.

Honestly I think it's really cheesy and stupid to have someone like that. Is Ashley a nice person, sure is and I mean no disrespect to her. I know her personally and to her it's simply a paycheck. And I can never be mad at someone for trying to pay the bills!

The "obviously hired" model is cool for beer companies and such, but the RC hobby is a family oriented thing. Like I bet 99.9999999% of wives who don't participate in the hobby never worry about their husbands being at the RC field. NOW, start sending a bunch of models to shows and see what happens. It's just... we'll cheesy.

Also, with the amount of sites and places you can go to see that sort of stuff I just find it dumb we need to add it here.
Good for you!!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Can we add another category in the "Build Thread" section that covers aspects of building, but not actual builds? For example, a how-to thread on vacuum bagging, covering, sheeting, glues/adhesives and epoxies, setting incidence, etc.?

There is a lot of great information scattered throughout all the build threads, but if we could get it compiled into one place, it would make it much easier for us to find and share this information.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Some examples would be @Terryscustom split cowl how-to thread, @Terryscustom glassing and painting techniques, @tylerzx9r covering thread, the Gorilla glue thread, etc.

While these are great and very informative threads, they are buried back on page 3 or 4 or more on the build pages. Because we have so many awesome builders sharing with us, the information tends to get buried very quickly. Rather than taking away from the builders and their great contributions, lets give these how-to's their own section!

reyn3545

100cc
You know where you are today... measured in membership, post counts, visits, unique IP's, etc... but where do you want to be? Next year? 2 years? I assume you guys are constantly working on SEO strategies to attract truly new members... what else is happening behind the scenes?

How can you work with key regional clubs to help sponsor fly-in events? I don't think clubs want to make a ton of money on these things, and I know some clubs are burned by LOSING money because the folks at the other site took their cut off the top. Just identify 6 or 8 large regional events this season where you think some visibility will pay off in membership, then either attend or find someone in the area who will represent you at these events. You don't want a tabletop presence if the competition is putting up a 50 foot tent, but you should be able to identify some key GIANT SCALE events for some ground level marketing.

How's the multi-rotor site going? Any opportunity to combine limited resources and support both at the events?

How did the new member raffle earlier work towards attracting new members? Can you work through any of the big online retailers to offer a gift certificate raffle? Could you spend, say $500 , to get Horizon, Tower, Chief, TroyBuilt, or one of the aircraft manufacturers to post a banner ad for a $500 gift certificate, and have the people register here at GSN for the raffle? That would take advantage of their existing traffic and word of mouth to drive traffic to both sites.

SleepyC

150cc
These are excellent points. One thing as much as we want the site to grow we want the RIGHT people to be here. We are already slowly proving that 1 member on GSN is worth around 100 members elsewhere because we represent the core group of the GS RC scene.

Lots of things going on behind the scenes... just need a little time.
I think Joe Nall will help us out a lot. Others can spend $$$$$$$ but only we can be US.
:D

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I agree with you 1000% on that @SleepyC , we don't want numbers, we want quality members that contribute positively. I wouldn't care if we didn't pick up a single new member as long as we keep the same tone and vibe that this site has now. I think the current group will help with that, we'll run the troublemakers out on a rail if they try to mess with this site! I think it is a timing thing, this site started at the end of the last flying season and there hasn't been much opportunity since to get exposure other than word of mouth. Joe Nall will help, as will any decent sized event if we have a table or banner or some way to make people aware.