• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Idiot Boy Builds an Old School World Engines Robin Hood 99 Kit

pawnshopmike

Staff member
@Decal Dennis hooked me up with some 3-D printed remote receiver mounts.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Alky6

150cc

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Those are cool!

How do you like those dubro control horns? Have you used them before? I have been looking at them, but they just seem like that "long" arm from the horn to the control rod seems like it could bend or move. Thoughts?
This is the second plane I've used them on. So far I love them. Rock solid, adjustable and most of all, Super easy to install! Just drill one hole and you're good to go.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Mike I see your using DSMX remotes. The AR8000 has a port connection for only one remote. I want to believe in my radio but do you think flying with just one remote could possibly be an issue? What receiver you plan on using?

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Mike I see your using DSMX remotes. The AR8000 has a port connection for only one remote. I want to believe in my radio but do you think flying with just one remote could possibly be an issue? What receiver you plan on using?
Funny. I just asked about your remote receiver in the I'm going out flying thread.:p

On this plane I'm using an AR9020 with two remotes. I was planning on using an AR8000 until a few weeks ago but I bought a used DX18 and it came with the AR9020.
I've been flying Spektrum for over 7 years and knock on wood, zero issues. I think I have three gas planes with an AR8000. So far so good.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had several AR8000 DSM2 receivers in gassers that worked flawlessly with one satellite. Of course my AR9020's and AR12120 DSMX receivers have been awesome as well. Our field even has one of those magic spots that swallows airplanes like the Bermuda Triangle that everyone avoids. I do most of my flying there because no one bothers me.;)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I had several AR8000 DSM2 receivers in gassers that worked flawlessly with one satellite. Of course my AR9020's and AR12120 DSMX receivers have been awesome as well. Our field even has one of those magic spots that swallows airplanes like the Bermuda Triangle that everyone avoids. I do most of my flying there because no one bothers me.;)

I know of those spots you speak of. Had one at my old flying site. It was a military OLF. Had to have been some "Rosewell" technology they were testing out there :alien:.

Now that hind sight is 20/20.... All of my previous gassers except one (Peak Model 330SC ) had Smart Fly power expanders and one plane in particular (purple) flew for me almost 6 years with out the first glitch but was Futaba equipment. Back to the Peak Model 330SC; It had Futaba equipment along with an Aura 8 and a similar issue popped up while hovering close to the deck. I chopped the throttle (connected directly to receiver and not Aura 8) and let it hit the ground fairly soft. The indicator on the Aura 8 was flashing Blue color indicating it locked out for voltage drop. One common denominator is the BLS H50B. Had 5 of em in the Peak Model 330SC and one on rudder on the Pilot 330SC. I do really think that these power hungry servos (which I do like) need to be separated from the receiver. So.....When I do the new Edge build it is going to have a power expander pro for the spektrum receiver to ride in.

thumb-image.jpg

I don't think it is the voltage drop itself but rather the "amount" of voltage drop at any given time that causes these receivers to brown and the Aura 8 to brown as well. If I were to use Aura 8 it would go in the power expander and get fed by serial port connection from the receiver .

Alky6

150cc
I know of those spots you speak of. Had one at my old flying site. It was a military OLF. Had to have been some "Rosewell" technology they were testing out there :alien:.

Now that hind sight is 20/20.... All of my previous gassers except one (Peak Model 330SC ) had Smart Fly power expanders and one plane in particular (purple) flew for me almost 6 years with out the first glitch but was Futaba equipment. Back to the Peak Model 330SC; It had Futaba equipment along with an Aura 8 and a similar issue popped up while hovering close to the deck. I chopped the throttle (connected directly to receiver and not Aura 8) and let it hit the ground fairly soft. The indicator on the Aura 8 was flashing Blue color indicating it locked out for voltage drop. One common denominator is the BLS H50B. Had 5 of em in the Peak Model 330SC and one on rudder on the Pilot 330SC. I do really think that these power hungry servos (which I do like) need to be separated from the receiver. So.....When I do the new Edge build it is going to have a power expander pro for the spektrum receiver to ride in.

View attachment 98652

I don't think it is the voltage drop itself but rather the "amount" of voltage drop at any given time that causes these receivers to brown and the Aura 8 to brown as well. If I were to use Aura 8 it would go in the power expander and get fed by serial port connection from the receiver .

Curiosity -- it's killed the cat. How many power inputs did you have to the receiver and how were they wired? Maybe you have already addressed this somewhere and I missed it. This in regard to the AR8000 in the edge you lost.

Last edited: