• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I hate getting F'ed on a motor

reyn3545

100cc
nope, on mine, the needles go straight into the aluminum on the side of the carb. the shaft of the needle does reduce down quite a bit where the threads are, suggesting to me that maybe there were or should be springs to hold some tension, but there are none here.  I'll check around and see what folks say.  Last thing I want to do is have it loose tuning in the air.  (well, almost the last thing).

reyn3545

100cc
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
I haven't noticed on mine what you are describing, tho.  If your Tillitson is anything like mine on my 157, there is a piece that looks like black plastic that the needles thread thru.  It acts like a lock for the needles.  Again, all good. 
icon_smile.gif

I saw a photo of another motor for sale that has that black plastic that you're talking about... mine has the same screws coming out of that plastic piece, so I assume it probably had that piece at one point in its questionable life!  I'll check with Gerhard when he gets back to the shop and see what he recommends.

reyn3545

100cc
I have another question about the IIS ignition modules... after I turn the ignition on, the motor ALWAYS starts on the second flip.  Just a gentle flip and it's running. 

Does the first flip past the magnets initialize the ignition, then the second pass fires the spark?  I really like the consistency.  

reyn3545

100cc
Hmm.. that's exactly what mine looks like.  Maybe they don't need springs or the black plastic piece.  I added the springs and tuned again, it seems to be fine... I'll probably let that sleeping dog lie.

reyn3545

100cc
I enlarged the photo in the PDF of the 157CS TS manual... it looks exactly like mine came to me... long needle screws and no springs.  

OK.. maybe the original owner(s) didn't stiff me on the springs!  There, I said it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
reyn3545 said
I have another question about the IIS ignition modules... after I turn the ignition on, the motor ALWAYS starts on the second flip.  Just a gentle flip and it's running. 

Does the first flip past the magnets initialize the ignition, then the second pass fires the spark?  I really like the consistency.  
As I understand it, Yes. apparently the ignition module wants to see a reference before it actually sends the spark. As I was informed, the module has to see the first magnet before the spark can be delivered by the second magnet. Or so I was told. All I know is, mine runs like a fine tooled watch. 

My 157cs on my 260 has no springs. It was a brand new never mounted or started motor when I purchased it. Second flip of the prop? That's pretty darned good. Usually mine is two to three consistently. 

reyn3545

100cc
One time, I flipped the prop probably a dozen times on choke before I realized that I had the ignition switch turned off.  I turned it on, took the choke off (fuel just poured out of the carb), flipped it twice and it started.  I would have been yanking the plugs out of my DA and waiting for things to dry out.