• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I hate getting F'ed on a motor

Mikeq

150cc
I'm pretty sure they aren't programmable..that was asked on a thread  at FG a while back...compared to Hitech they are good with torque and speed but no program features.. synchronize with TX or matchbox/smart equalizers only...  been thinking about trying them myself on the next plane..

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Mikeq said
I'm pretty sure they aren't programmable..that was asked on a thread  at FG a while back...compared to Hitech they are good with torque and speed but no program features.. synchronize with TX or matchbox/smart equalizers only...  been thinking about trying them myself on the next plane..
That's what I was thinking. I really would not have a problem with that, except it would mean a separate channel for each servo. Lets say, two per aileron, two per elevator, two per rudder... one throttle and of course ignition and smoke if you're gonna smoke it. That would mean a least a 12, (11 if not using smoke) channel radio and receiver. Guess I am going to end up with a more elaborate radio system. My 9X won't handle that many. Oh well... we now return you to your previously viewed thread. LOL

reyn3545

100cc
They are not programmable.  I have an 18MZ, and I'll be using 2 receivers in this plane, so plenty of channels.  Also, with just one per wing, it's a simple centering and end point adjustment through the radio.  I did use Hitec everywhere except the ailerons, just because I had them left over from a previous plane. I wish everyone offered programmable servos.

Savox does include a 1.5 inch metal arm in the box with the servo... it's pretty wide at the base, like a heli arm, so it might not work for every application, but at least it's semi-useful.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I kind of wish now that instead of upgrading my Aurora to the Aurora 9X I had just pulled the trigger on a JR 11X or the Futaba FG14..... But I had 14 rx's., the hp21 and hp22 programmers and the 9X is 4096 resolution. 

Mike, Im gonna start up a MX2 rebuild thread here before too long.  Feel free to drag some pics in and we can continue our servo discussion there.  Dont really wanna clutter up your engine thread....  Sorry, BTW.  

reyn3545

100cc
No problem.. like I said earlier, I'm done complaining about the motor, and I didn't really plan on a "build thread" for the plane, so this is as good a place as any.  I don't think there's a whole lot of interest in how to build a CARF MX-2 anymore... since there never was much interest in buying them.  It's a shame, it's a great flying plane.   I guess everyone wants Yaks and Extras.  

I need to slow down on this airplane stuff... I've build the CARF Pitts and now the MX-2 this year... plus an EF 91" Extra that died an early death, but it made room for the MX-2.  Those planes combined would have made a good car purchase for my son, who's going to turn 16 soon... some day I have to start thinking about those things before I start throwing credit card numbers at airplane parts dealers!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
Mike, Im gonna start up a MX2 rebuild thread here before too long.  Feel free to drag some pics in and we can continue our servo discussion there.  Dont really wanna clutter up your engine thread....  Sorry, BTW.  
Me too... got kind of sidetracked there....

reyn3545

100cc
I decided to start the motor and see if my problems were any worse than a couple of stripped bolts.  The standard prop bolts are 50mm, I installed a 60mm bolt in the stripped hole, and it torqued down fine.  The exhaust wasn't going to hurt anything if it blew out of the header connection, but I had plenty of red silicon gasket material on it anyway, so I figured I'd be fine there.

After I got fuel into the motor, it popped on choke and started up very easy.  A little tuning to richen the low end and transition was working pretty well.  I didn't want to do any tuning on the high end just yet, only looking for idle and transition.  

I have to say, the Tillotson carb was a lot easier to tune than most people have said, although the plane hasn't been in the air yet.  

In a quick check on the ground, the low end is idling at about 800 RPM, very smooth.  I was expecting a very shaky idle, similar to my older 3W 170.  The high end on a couple of quick run-ups was about 5200.  That's running a 29x12 3-blade Biela prop... that translates to just over 60 lbs of thrust, not bad for a 38 pound airplane.  I'll look at high end tuning once I get a little more time on it.  I think it's at about 1 1/4 turns out, and the manual suggests to start at 3/4 turns out.  

Quick question 3W experts.... when I'm flipping the prop, I get a pretty strong "tick" just as the piston starts to get some compression on it.  I always heard a little bit of that on my DA motors, but this is a little more than I'm used to hearing... is that normal as the roller bearings load up?

reyn3545

100cc
Also.... the needle screws don't have springs on them to hold compression and keep them from turning... is this normal?  My Walbro's always have springs on them. 

I haven't noticed on mine what you are describing, tho.  If your Tillitson is anything like mine on my 157, there is a piece that looks like black plastic that the needles thread thru.  It acts like a lock for the needles.  Again, all good. 
icon_smile.gif