• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I've only been involved in this hobby/madness for roughly four years so I cannot comment on the prices, they are whay they are, I believe, however, the prices are that high because we will pay them, keeping up with the Jones , who has the biggest etc. What I do know is, for competition you need the best and lightest, strongest to have that edge over the next guy and every sport has that issue and should, thats why its a competition.
What I also believe is that we are some of the luckiest people on the planet to do what we do and have what we have or buy what we buy and billions of other harder working folks will never even dream of having the kind of toys we play with,
Now, my last hobby was building classic British bikes and Choppers, lemme tell you, ive yet to need bail money from hanging out with the IMAC crowd ! So over the last few years I guess ive SAVED money being involved with giant scale planes!

Last edited:

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Speaking of getting into IMAC on the cheap... my friend Dave has a Carden 118" going up for sale soon, I went through it 100% front to back and its ready for a new home. 2500.00-2800.00 , look in the classifieds soon. Awesome and solid entry level plane that has trophied bout every pilot that's owned and flown it, even me LoL.

Pardon, waaayyy off topic there.

Last edited:
could it be all the used gear thats for sale causing people to think new stuff is expensive now a days?,,, up to 50% and beyond depreciation once it leaves the shop, installed and removed then up for sale hoping to recoup at least 75%,,, just ain t gonna happen these days. I'd have to say its better to buy used, send it in for a check up and fly it right? or let the other guy pay full boat and then jump on the stuff when it goes up for sale.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Speaking of getting into IMAC on the cheap... my friend Dave has a Carden 118" going up for sale soon, I went through it 100% front to back and its ready for a new home. 2500.00-2800.00 , look in the classifieds soon. Awesome and solid entry level plane that has trophied bout every pilot that's owned and flown it, even me LoL.

Pardon, waaayyy off topic there.
Ya. Here's another great deal on a plane for IMAC or 3D. It has both sets of tail feathers.
http://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/3dhs-119-extra-330-sc-with-gp176-2800-00-st-louis-area.2438/

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Like someone said earlier, I don't think the hobby has gotten more expensive, our tastes have. You can outfit a 50cc for what it cost to equip a .60 glow back when I got in.

Buying used is definitely the way to go on airframes and engines. Let the original owner take the depreciation hit, just like vehicles.