• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

I would like to know if anyone would be interested in exploring why this hobby is getting so expensive and how we can actually make it more affordable, I have a ton of ideas on this, some you will like and some you might not ike so much ,
So I wait for your input whether I should do this thread or not bother

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I am very curious of your thoughts. With nearly all of the products used in this hobby coming from outside the country it's hard to cut costs and with China demanding more and more money for the same quality that part will get worse before it gets better. Balsa prices going up, import plywood prices going up.

tylerzx9r

100cc
I am also curios, I looked to @Terryscustom to build something to expand my ability in the hobby, but that didn't change the cost for me as compared to a ARF (not that I expected it to) but am interested to see why it is so expensive? Compared to inflation, do you think it is the same as 5-10 years ago? Or is it because it is a disease that we just keep building bigger planes making it more expensive?

well there are many ways to cut cost, but not everyone is willing to do it.
One is to start scratch building, yes it takes longer and I know nowadays, people want instant gratification, hence Arfs
This way you are in control of your build and not factories overseas., again not for everyone.
Another thing, generally, people think if its not expensive, it can't be good, for instance the best radio on the market right now for its quality, programmability , and bullet proof solid 2.4 is made by FrSky , the Taranis, Taranis Plus, and with two more coming soone, The Taranis has up to 32 channels, and the programmability is by far the best on the planet. but it only cost around $250 while the Futaba 18 cost around $3000 and doesn't do as much as the Taranis. that is an example where people are spending way too much for a radio, Futaba, JR and such does a lot of advertising, sponsoring etc. so when people see some to names in the business using these radios, they automatically think its the best , well think again, they are sponsored, which means free to them .
Someone was heard saying , "I won't trust a $35.00 receiver to my $ 4000.00 airplane" and someone replied, " we can add an extra $100 if it will make you feel better"

A Ferrari is a very expensive car, yet its no better then your Ford , or Chevy, think about it.

I will keep like this for the time being, but lots more to talk about

I guess it depends on what you think expensive is. I think you can start up in this hobby for $1000.00-$1500.00 from stratch. Figure a JR XG6 radio with 2 recievers for $200.00 and since it has Xbus you could fly a 40%er with it but not have a lot of programming options. Both Horizon and Tower have great trainers for a few hundred dollars. If you go electric you are looking at batteries from hobby king, decent charger, and there are many good cheap options for electric motors and ESC's.

SleepyC

150cc
@Forgues-Research I totally agree with you about the radios. The FrSky stuff is seriously top notch for the money. (or actually just top notch period) It takes a few more brain cells to operate (probably the factor for most) but it works just as well as the big brands.

Also, even the big players like Hobbico have some options now. The Tactic TTX850 is an AWESOME 8 CH radio for about $250. It has features that the $2000 radios only had just a few years ago.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I think most of the cost is in the gadgets and overkill.

Look at what we put into a 100 cc plane compared to what we actually need to fly it. We put in 3 HV batteries when one LiFe would do the same thing, then add a power expander. The fancy batteries require a fancy charger, multiple switches (heavy duty with LEDs or hidden switches), maybe a regulator. The servos are probably the worst, 25 years ago we would fly the same planes with 100 oz servos at most, with plastic gears, and analog, and they flew just fine. Now we have to have monster HV servos with titanium gears, digital coreless or brushless, with aluminum cases and CF linkage. CF landing gear to save a couple of ounces taken up by multiple batteries, a CF spinner, and a $100 plus CF prop. Throw in some telemetry so we can tell temperature, voltage, and RPM in flight, there's another $100 plus gone, unless you need a radio to utilize it, then add another $1000+. Is the performance with this overkill stuff better? Yes, but you are paying for that performance that you may or not be able to utilize, depending on your skills.

I agree with you on the Taranis, I have one after being a die-hard Futaba guy for years. Left the hobby for a few years and when I came back and decided to upgrade to 2.4, I refused to pay the prices Futaba was demanding for inferior equipment. Love the Taranis, the programability, and the price, and it is just as rock solid as the expensive stuff!

I have the big planes with all the overkill equipment too, but my go-to plane when I want to really thrash something or learn a new move is one of my .40 or .60 size profile planes. Simple and cheap at under $300 total and more capable and durable than any of my big planes. And I can laugh if I dumb thumb it, instead of crying and figuring out what vehicle I need to sell to fund a replacement plane!

quadracer

100cc
I agree with the "overkill" assessment. I recently put together a 104 Slick, bought a used airframe, used DA150, and was flying for under $2k, including new Savox 1270tg servos on everything. No power expander needed, one soft switch for the rx. It's pretty simple to do it for a relatively low cost if you take the time to look things over eliminate unnecessary items.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I agree as far as components go some people go overboard. HOWEVER, that is highly dependent on the flying style. Someone who has the goal of taking off, hovering a little, various loops, rools and harriers can get by with far less. Someone that is going to do high speed stuff and aggressive 3D would be in the dirt with a single LiFe in a 35%'er though.

My thoughts are to spend money on proven quality things that keep the plane in the air, only skimp on things where they are mostly for bling factor. So far it has worked pretty well.