• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
I was all excited about ZTW, I jumped in head first, lured by everyone that had been bragging about the extra power. Immediatelly I told everyone that throttle response was terrible. Now many months later still no definitive fix. I for one am not to happy with this. The esc just sits on my bench. For me is been a total waste if money, not it mention time. I even bought the esc digital programming card.. more waste.

I get it as a distributor you aren't fault, in the end the customers are the ones who suffer. I for one cant recommend ZTW to anyone.

It's definitely frustrating....

Something changed with the Gecko line... The A series and B series / Landpower were rock solid with no issues.

I'm really hoping ZTW can get things fixed, and I'm proud of the efforts the Garret alone has made. Good luck!

Yeah, I don't know what changed. Unfortunately, the dealers are caught in the middle because we want to fix it, but it has to come from the manufacturer. And, you have no idea what a challenge it is dealing with these Chinese suppliers! It has taken me the better part of two months just to convince them there is an issue at all! Despite how many videos I send them, they are reluctant to change anything until they get proof themselves, which we were finally able to do just this week. So, I'm hoping this will help bring a change soon.

The nice thing is, unlike with the A- or B-series, the Geckos have upgradable firmware. So, once they get this fixed, that ESC on your bench won't be a paperweight anymore. Unfortunately, it is just taking some time because, as we have found recently, the issue is very hit-or-miss in that some motors are affected and some aren't. And some are in this voltage, but not on that voltage. And some are with the SBEC ESCs but not the OPTOs....and so forth. Also, what baffles me is that these ESCs were on the market for the better part of a year without so much of a complaint and then all the sudden people start having issues despite the fact that nothing changed in the firmware. So, it tells me that motor choices changed during that time; so, I don't think it is necessarily a flaw in the firmware but rather the ESC was designed for what was popular on the market at that time, and now things have changed in that regard. The same issue took place for over a year with the SimonK ESCs for multi-rotor....everyone suddenly decided that super low KV, 24-pole motors were the wave of the future for long flight times, but the current SimonK ESCs at the time couldn't support them. Everyone jumped ship and bought the new motors but couldn't get them to run worth a darn because the ESCs. Unfortunately, the suppliers have to react to what others are doing in the industry, and it just often takes time. Couple that with the fact that the majority of end users want to pay as little as possible for everything because of the plethora of overseas vendors selling super cheap product these days, and you'll understand what a challenge it is to get suppliers to spend the $$ to make wholesale changes to their products.

Garret

AKfreak

150cc
You have to admit, we have been pretty patient. I have refrained from bad mouthing ZTW, not because I have love for ZTW, but because I have love for Vendors like you. I want to see ZTW succeed. I want to see them dominate the ESC market with affordable products that perform better than the more expensive offerings. I mean I have $110 in the ESC, and what $20 in the programer. Thats not pocket lint you know. That kind of wasted money by some would really leave a bad taste in their mouth. Again I have refrained.

Hell I have 4 ZTW 20A Spider ESC's in my cart for 3 weeks. I wanted so badly to by them and test them on a new quad project. But you know what, I went ahead and bought 4 way more expensive 18A esc's ($25 ec) for my project because I want somthing that I know 100% will work, and I won't risk wasting my time or money. If ZTW needs convincing that their ESC's have a problem in markets where they hope to compete, and can't take experienced users feedback, then they must not be to worried about lost revenue to competing brands. Yep many of use fly planes, helis, quads, have cars and boats. A fail in the air customers hobby experience, could cost them in multis, and helis too.

I think you know what I am saying here. I like you and your company. I wish you all the luck in the world. I also hope ZTW bounces back and does so in a big way.

AKfreak

150cc
After actually reading this entire thread and watching the videos tomorrow I'll test my MF 4330 400 with the 150A OPTO on 6S. Always seemed a little sluggish to me but I just always blamed it on the larger prop and 6S power. Its my first over 60 inch plan. I'll do the run up on the ground to check the response.
it had me scratching my head too. But I will say that I knew from the get go in my heart, it was the ESC. I was hoping it wasn't, because I didn't want to eat $110 bucks, so I bought a programmer hoping I could change a setting like I can in Castle Link. Programming a ZTW with that LCD card is like playing with a Fisher Price GUI ;) LOL

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
it had me scratching my head too. But I will say that I knew from the get go in my heart, it was the ESC. I was hoping it wasn't, because I didn't want to eat $110 bucks, so I bought a programmer hoping I could change a setting like I can in Castle Link. Programming a ZTW with that LCD card is like playing with a Fisher Price GUI ;) LOL

I don't think my experience was anything like what I saw in your video, and it doesn't hesitate at all on startup. It certainly doesn't have the stupid power of the 60" planes, which are basically rocket ships on 6S. I'll check it out tomorrow.

My issue was throttle acceleration. I tried the firmware beta over the summer and it did solve the issue, but led to another issue. It is a work in progress and I have moved onto Jeti Mezons for telemetry reasons. I continue to use the 6s Geckos, mainly 85A ones.

I know a lot of us with 28 pole hackers jumped onto this proverbial bandwagon and also the new Motrolfly 4330 low kv winds so there is a shift is what motors are being used in 3D airplanes.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I had my 71 Extra out today with the 4330/150HV Gecko combination. Yes I can definitely say it has a very lagy throttle response. From half to full is pretty good but from 25% and below to full there is a delay. I fly mostly IMAC stuff and don't hammer the throttle much so it doesn't bother me too much, however, I certainly notice when hovering and harrier flight, throttle feels a little dead. I'll keep my 3D flying higher until there is a fix. Hopefully we can get a firmware update soon or I may move onto a Jeti.

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
OK, everyone, ZTW says they have made a change to the code and have tested it extensively without issue with the motor we sent them. So, we are once again looking for someone to test this firmware out...the version they sent is for the SBEC (not OPTO yet)...so, we need someone with a 85A, 125A, or 155A Gecko running a suspect Motrolfly motor who is willing to try it. Please contact me here or email me at altitudehobbies@gmail.com

Thanks,
Garret

I'd like to try it but in my case I don't think the term "suspect" motor applies. I'm having issues with a 3615 and 4315 neither of which are 28 pole. Despite what they claim they have changed something with the ESC somewhat recently. As I've said before I had 0 issues with the same motor/esc combos with earlier geckos, it was only the last two I purchased that exhibited the problem. I actually switched ESCs around thinking maybe it was a motor issue but the earlier gecko worked with both motors with no issues.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'd like to try it but in my case I don't think the term "suspect" motor applies. I'm having issues with a 3615 and 4315 neither of which are 28 pole. Despite what they claim they have changed something with the ESC somewhat recently. As I've said before I had 0 issues with the same motor/esc combos with earlier geckos, it was only the last two I purchased that exhibited the problem. I actually switched ESCs around thinking maybe it was a motor issue but the earlier gecko worked with both motors with no issues.

I believe that Garret sent them a 4315

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR

Hmmm...that's very interesting and a bit of info no one has relayed to me until now. I will forward this to ZTW and see what they have to say.

I believe that Garret sent them a 4315

Yes, we sent them a 4315-300. The issue presented itself when run on 6s with a 125A but not on 8s with a 120A OPTO.

Garret