• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

I got 6-7 flights on the MXS with the Castle ICE2 HV I replaced this with. Great throttle and no issues. Only thing is I put too big of a resistor in for anti-spark and it would not register the full cell count so I stopped using it. Good thing as LVC saved some batteries today.

Brownie433

New to GSN!
Just curious, anyone have any updates on this?

Soldered up my 120HV to my WR BEC and got everything setup for the Motrolfly 4330 on 8S. Just gotta finish the plane. I'm most curious if this a prevalent issue?

Thanks,

Mike

I personally have acquired a number of ICE2 HVs and and ICE 100 for my HV needs. This is a great price point for this type of ESC. I have gotten great service from both Altitude and BuddyRC via ZTW on my 2 issues. It is just that the throttle response has not been solved and my season is wrapping up.

Brownie433

New to GSN!
Well I finally got everything together on my 72 Extra. Motrolfly 4330 298KV on 8S with the ZTW 120 HV Opto and I have the exact same problem. It's a bummer. The throttle is extremely laggy and sometimes from a dead stop if you give it 1/4-1/2 throttle it doesn't even respond for about a full second and then slowly gets going.

It's too bad. The latest software updates don't seem to help and I wouldn't want this throttle response on a 3D bird where pulsing the throttle is important.

Overall power is good - 20x8 - is around 2300ish watts and 20x10 is high 2500s, but what good is it when the power won't come on when you ask it :(

I would not recommend this ESC to anyone. ZTW may work in non HV (I have seen them work), but the HVs are not up to snuff.

Brownie

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well I finally got everything together on my 72 Extra. Motrolfly 4330 298KV on 8S with the ZTW 120 HV Opto and I have the exact same problem. It's a bummer. The throttle is extremely laggy and sometimes from a dead stop if you give it 1/4-1/2 throttle it doesn't even respond for about a full second and then slowly gets going.

It's too bad. The latest software updates don't seem to help and I wouldn't want this throttle response on a 3D bird where pulsing the throttle is important.

Overall power is good - 20x8 - is around 2300ish watts and 20x10 is high 2500s, but what good is it when the power won't come on when you ask it :(

I would not recommend this ESC to anyone. ZTW may work in non HV (I have seen them work), but the HVs are not up to snuff.

Brownie

As a band aide to you problem, I recommend setting an "idle up" switch, (kinda like a throttle kill on a gasser) that will keep your prop from going to a dead stop in flight. No esc really works well starting a stationary prop in flight...

Also, have you flown it yet?

Brownie433

New to GSN!
As a band aide to you problem, I recommend setting an "idle up" switch, (kinda like a throttle kill on a gasser) that will keep your prop from going to a dead stop in flight. No esc really works well starting a stationary prop in flight...

Also, have you flown it yet?

I didn't try raising the idle up so that the prop never stops (I don't completely stop a prop very often in flight), but I will try it.

Yeah, I flew it once and it feels very late and slow on power. Once the power has been on for a bit and it catches up the total power is quite good.

I flew a buddies Motrolfly on 6S with the non-hv 125 ZTW Gecko (71 Slick) and I liked it more than my 8S setup, his power comes on much quicker. He puts out about 2200 watts, but the response is so much nicer. Failed low hovers, tail walks in a torque roll, pulsing the throttle in harrier, wall into hovers, etc..

I will try the "idle up" when I get out next and see if that brings it closer to what I'm used to or to the ZTW 125 Gecko on 6S.

Thanks,
Mike

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I didn't try raising the idle up so that the prop never stops (I don't completely stop a prop very often in flight), but I will try it.

Yeah, I flew it once and it feels very late and slow on power. Once the power has been on for a bit and it catches up the total power is quite good.

I flew a buddies Motrolfly on 6S with the non-hv 125 ZTW Gecko (71 Slick) and I liked it more than my 8S setup, his power comes on much quicker. He puts out about 2200 watts, but the response is so much nicer. Failed low hovers, tail walks in a torque roll, pulsing the throttle in harrier, wall into hovers, etc..

I will try the "idle up" when I get out next and see if that brings it closer to what I'm used to or to the ZTW 125 Gecko on 6S.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm flying the Motrofly 4330 with the Gecko 150A opto and I feel like I'm experiencing the same thing, power comes on slow, there should be plenty of power but it won't pull out of a hover with any authority, very sluggish. Once up to speed its fine and will go vertical without and problems. I watch other setups on 70 size planes and they have pull out of low hover with much more punch. I may try a different ESC just to be find out if it really is an issue.