• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

d2tw4all

New to GSN!
Success!

Went to the field with the Edge today, got 4 flights in. Life is good, the "original" firmware did the trick and she flew like I expected! Thanks Garrett and this thread for getting me to the answer!!!

Tom

bobmic

New to GSN!
Can anyone send me the latest firmware for the ZTW 120HV opto, I baught one a couple of months ago and cannot use it due to the motor slip at low rpm.
I tried to search for it on ZTWs website but couldn't find anything.
Thank you,
Bobby
Bobmic_guy@yahoo.com

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
This is a post from another member d2tw4all you can view it HERE it's on page 29 of this board. The files have worked for me and him and probably others as well. Let us know.

bobmic

New to GSN!
Any chance I could ask you to email me the firmware files - I see there are two of them. Did not receive a reply from altitude hobby

Thx,
Bobby

FlyingDreams

New to GSN!
With the DM4320-450, a 18X8 electric beechwood prop should do at least 7875 RPMs, 2050W and 91A on 6S. The same motor with a 17x10 on 6S should do a least 7640 RPMs, which is 1900W and 84A. I was spinning a 16x8 8400 RPMs with the DM4315-480Kv to 1610W and 72A.

Governing the power at the top end to cure a torque-speed and commutation issue that your product may have is not the answer, IMO.

Finally got some data on Motrofly 4320-450kv, 18x8 Xoar, and ZTW 125 Amp with SBEC with the updated firmware. I turned on telemetry logging on my FrSKy Taranis. This is from Wednesday evening. I had two flights. On the full power take off on the first flight, the log tells me that I was pulling 87 amps at 24.7 volts for 2148 watts. The ZTW with the updated firmware is working well with the Motrolfly 4320-450kv. For those of you planning to upgrade the firmware on your ZTW Gecko controllers, be careful not to install the opto ESC firmware onto the SBEC ESC. If you do, you may not like the result (hint: possible smoke coming out of your controller). Make sure that you use the correct firmware.

65_Vyper_Log.PNG

njswede

150cc
What was the conclusion of this? Is there a better firmware? I have a 150A Opto that's been sitting on my desk for a year that I just put into my 71" Slick as replacement for a Castle Ice that gave up the ghost. The throttle response is, well, less than impressive. I programmed the highest startup current (50%) that was available, but it's still a little slower than I'd like. I like to have lots of power available quickly to get me out of trouble...

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Read back up the thread. Yes it works. Dont know if there is a newer file than the one I got. I tend to not fix it if it works... :)