• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Helis!

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
wecoyote;2529 wrote: About 10 years ago I had gotten into restoring "vintage" helicopters.

Here is a GMP Cricket

GMP cricket was my first heli that I actually hovered, at first with no Gyro...my brain just got sore remembering this! Soon after, I installed a gyro, and now I was basking in luxury! (1982)

Before that, I built an "American Mantis" (designed by John Simone): the plywood sides had to be cut out, and the the belt drive was rubbing against the front sides of the tail boom: mine never flew!

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
Islandflyer;2812 wrote: GMP cricket was my first heli that I actually hovered, at first with no Gyro...my brain just got sore remembering this! Soon after, I installed a gyro, and now I was basking in luxury! (1982)

Before that, I built an "American Mantis" (designed by John Simone): the plywood sides had to be cut out, and the the belt drive was rubbing against the front sides of the tail boom: mine never flew!
Got any pictures? Would like to see them.

By far the hardest one to fly was the Whirlybird 505. I called "flying" that one an almost controlled hover. LOL

SleepyC

150cc
When you see the big dogs fly a 700 - 800 size machine it seriously makes me wonder "How do these not explode". The sounds and power needed to stop a big machine 2" from the ground after a death spiral.. amazes and scares me every time.

wecoyote;2529 wrote: About 10 years ago I had gotten into restoring "vintage" helicopters.

Here is a GMP Cricket

Hey Coyote....I got 99% of a Kalt Gas Alpha in a box under one of my work benches....Never chashed so the frames are good but it is truely a basket case. Would it be somethin you'd be interested in?

CB

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
SleepyC;3006 wrote: When you see the big dogs fly a 700 - 800 size machine it seriously makes me wonder "How do these not explode". The sounds and power needed to stop a big machine 2" from the ground after a death spiral.. amazes and scares me every time.

Yeah the first time I saw one of the guys at our field that can really fly, 3D a SAB Goblin 700, it just looked like the helicopter should destroy itself. The sound is awesome! I tried to shoot a video of it once and it was just a waste of time, I couldn't keep up.

CSpaced

30cc
I thought I really liked the Goblin 700, until I started flying the Goblin 500.... that thing is quick!

attachment.php

4127=1669-Gob1.jpg
4127=1669-Gob1.jpg
4127=1670-Goblin1.jpg
4127=1670-Goblin1.jpg
4127=1671-Goblin2.jpg
4127=1671-Goblin2.jpg

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
castlebravo;3014 wrote: Hey Coyote....I got 99% of a Kalt Gas Alpha in a box under one of my work benches....Never chashed so the frames are good but it is truely a basket case. Would it be somethin you'd be interested in?

CB
Thanks but not really. Got too many projects already.