• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will do my best to get some good photo's and video the day of the maiden. I am quite certain I will not be able to refrain from a few hovers or ssssslllloooooow passes once dialed in though. LOL....

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
Who says you need to refrain from any of that stuff. With a new plane, I normally do about 5 or 6 circles to do some trimming if its needed (this plane needed 1 click of something I think), and its on like donkey kong. Probably not correct break in procedure, but I don't care

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Who says you need to refrain from any of that stuff. With a new plane, I normally do about 5 or 6 circles to do some trimming if its needed (this plane needed 1 click of something I think), and its on like donkey kong. Probably not correct break in procedure, but I don't care
I did not get nuts-o with the 260 and the 3Dub for about three to four gallons. But I am a firm believer in breaking a motor and a plane in the way it is intended to be flown. Both my Slick and my Pilot Edge are wild animals in the sky and have been since new. I think the 260 was a warm up of getting used to really big stuff. I soon found out it can do more things than I am capable of. Pretty sure the Sukhoi will get a proper shake down upon the maiden voyage.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

lol...When I first flew my 104 I had the same attitude and then the engine quit running nose facing straight up and only air speed was in reverse. lol Never knew I could yell "Chit" so loud. My ignition cut off failed. Now a fellow with an Aero-works Ultimate did the same thing but he was reaching for the smoke switch. I was proven wrong about yelling "chit" so loud.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
lol...When I first flew my 104 I had the same attitude and then the engine quit running nose facing straight up and only air speed was in reverse. lol Never knew I could yell "Chit" so loud. My ignition cut off failed. Now a fellow with an Aero-works Ultimate did the same thing but he was reaching for the smoke switch. I was proven wrong about yelling "chit" so loud.
Nice....LOL. The one and "ONLY" time I can honestly say I have had that nose in the air attitude with a stalled motor, was this past summer with the 260. My bad completely. Fortunately 50' up with 15mph winds and 42 lbs. gives you lots of opportunity to pull off a great save. And a great save it was. Hee hee...actually, It was pure luck. LOL

Last edited:

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
That would really stink. First few minutes of first flight is always stressful for me(except my p47, it's ALWAYS stressful). An electronics failure would just make me mad.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I was over a fresh field of peanut plants and a hard flare saved my plane. The guys ultimate was just at the edge of the field and darted hard in to the strip. My DA 120 was unharmed his went back to DA. Remarkably though the nose of the ultimate was the only thing that was destroyed. My 104, was only cowl, wheel pants, and landing gear. I thought for sure some holes in the covering or something but nope! Plane was perfect other than mentioned parts. I asked the property owner to plant peanuts every year!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I was over a fresh field of peanut plants and a hard flare saved my plane. The guys ultimate was just at the edge of the field and darted hard in to the strip. My DA 120 was unharmed his went back to DA. Remarkably though the nose of the ultimate was the only thing that was destroyed. My 104, was only cowl, wheel pants, and landing gear. I thought for sure some holes in the covering or something but nope! Plane was perfect other than mentioned parts. I asked the property owner to plant peanuts every year!
:laughing:Peanuts???? Did you know Cheeseburgers buns are softer? Jus' sayin'.....

When my 260 went down, Broke the landing gear and wheel pants, and a freaking 150.00 dollar prop. The CF landing gear was not a big deal at 65.00. And I hated the wheel pants. But the high dollar prop hurt. Bought more appropriate sized wheel pants that look really good on the 260 and a set of gear. Replaced the prop and good to go. Bet I pay attention next time huh?:yesss:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I am currently working on a cheeseburger seed that can be grown year round. Let you know when I get it figured out and approved by the department of agriculture.:confused??:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally..... it's done. :banana-dance: 20150105_155605.jpg 20150105_171858.jpg Well, with the exception of balancing and placing the flight packs accordingly. I chose to do the belly vents different after all. I had really good success with the louvers on the 260, so I figured... "If something works, why change it up?" Finished up the vents and fit the spinner. Everything is finally ready.... Now if I could only get some of Xpress's weather up here. I would go maiden it. :way_to_go: