• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

I like Lion batteries because you can tell when the pack,is not safe to fly. The instructions say to charge them when the voltage under 1 amp load hits 7.0 volts. As for regulating them, the ibec will do that.

BJ Swope

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That I like. That is the biggest reason why I still use NiMh. Was not aware Lions could be checked.

David
Yup.... and fwiw, imo....easier to maintain. The best of all worlds. More power than A123, last longer and light in weight. I'll stay with them until "The Force" powers my planes.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I don't like regulators. High failure point. A123s deliver much, much more power than Lions.
Hmm.....have I misunderstood info. Robert? I thought A123's are 6.6 volt. LiIon's are 7.2. Peak capacity at 8.4, A123's at 7.2?

Wanting to know if I missed something.

Stang,
LiIons have a nominal voltage of 7.4V. A123s have a lower voltage but a much higher amp output rating. While LiIons can drop 1-1.5v under load A123s may drop .1 or .2 under load.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Not to mention 20-30 minute charge times for the A123s. Though they come hot off the charger at 7.2v they drop to 6.6 in a matter of minutes.