• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Guys, are two 2500 Ma A123 batteries enough for this plane. Of course another battery or an IBEC for the engine. I usually order from Hangtimes. Thoughts? Thanks.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Guys, are two 2500 Ma A123 batteries enough for this plane. Of course another battery or an IBEC for the engine. I usually order from Hangtimes. Thoughts? Thanks.
Most all 40% will use roughly 300 or a little more mah per pack per flight. Multiple this times 3 and you're at 900 to 1000 mah per pack. That puts your safety threshold down around 60 or so percent with only 10 to 20 percent in reserve. My 260 is running 2 611 ounce 7980's on the rudder, 1 7954 per elevator and 2 7954 each aileron. Typically I fly all styles of flying with the 260 and notice not much of a difference between IMAC, 3D or other styles. Maybe 50 to 75 mah more per pack per flight. I have pushed the envelope a time or two and flew 5, 10 to 12 minute flights. When I did a recharge, I was over 2000 mah per pack. However I do use 5000 mah LiIon packs. On my Sukhoi, two 7950's on the rudder, two 7950 per elevator and two 7950 per aileron. I do notice the consumption is slightly higher than the 260. But I really don't huck the Sukhoi too hard. Usually four 10 to 12 minute flights yealds a 1500 to 1900 mah usage. Depending on how hard I fly it. At 1900 each pack, that leaves me a little more in reserve for a margin of safety. Especially if in the event there is a mechanical issue such as a stalled or binding servo.

If it were me, I would probably not chance it. But then I am usually over doing my setups. I would rather be over doing things and bring my birds home, than take a possible chance and bring them home in a bag. For the cost verses the weight verses the extra margin of safety, a higher mah battery choice really is worth the extra ounce or two you gain in weight or a couple of bucks more in cost.

I try to maintain a couple of 2500's for 50cc, (because I fly the pants off the lil guys...lol) that and I don't use an ignition battery. Also it allows me to beat the snot outta them at least 5 to 6 flights and not have to worry about having enough battery. On 100cc, I like the peace of mind of two 5000's. (Probably overkill) Depending on setup, I may or may not use an ignition battery. But most definitely two 5000's on 40%'ers. Along with ignition batteries.

I will be using two 5000's on the Yak along with two 2600's for the twin Red Head beast of death 3w 210.

I like peace of mind. To just go and fly without a nagging doubt messing with my concentration.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
So 5000 Ma it is. I still use big NiMh batteries in 100cc planes so this will be my 1st foray into better batteries. Using MKS 777's allows me up to 8.2 volts so do I go with the simpler A123's or the Fromeco Relions?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So 5000 Ma it is. I still use big NiMh batteries in 100cc planes so this will be my 1st foray into better batteries. Using MKS 777's allows me up to 8.2 volts so do I go with the simpler A123's or the Fromeco Relions?
I prefer the relions. Fully charged they also give you approximately 8.4 volts. However the fall off of LiIon is different than other batteries. I've noticed on all my Fromeco packs, the fall off is so negligible that I don't even have to worry. All HV servos are now designed to take whatever 2S battery you toss at it. I drop kicked all my Nimh packs a couple of years ago and couldn't have been more pleased. LiIon offer higher voltage for longer period of time with out the behemoth fall off of Nimh packs.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My NiMh's are easy and good for counter weighting the heavier 3W's that I prefer and always good for three 10+ flights but am well aware it's time to move to modern batteries. Using a DA170 means I regulate the relion for ignition? or run a straight A123? Thanks again.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My NiMh's are easy and good for counter weighting the heavier 3W's that I prefer and always good for three 10+ flights but am well aware it's time to move to modern batteries. Using a DA170 means I regulate the relion for ignition? or run a straight A123? Thanks again.
If the DA ignition is only good to 6 volts, then it should be regulated. If it can handle the higher voltage such as the new 3dub ignitions, DLE and like...then no, you will not need a regulator. DA should be able to answer whether it needs regulated or not.