• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Getting started in Giant Scale RC---Tools and Supplies

BalsaDust

wesley.;20372 wrote: Which elcheapo clamps do you like?

These are a few of the ones I use. I have a few others of various sizes that have been bought elsewhere but these 3 links are to the clamps I use most often. Most of which I buy when they go on sale and then I use the 20% coupon out of the sales flyers.

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-inch-ratchet-bar-clamp-spreader-46805.html

http://m.harborfreight.com/6-piece-78-spring-clamp-set-69375.html

http://m.harborfreight.com/2-12-in-nylon-spring-clamp-69290.html

The schoolhouse seems to be missing from the new version of the site, so it is hard to comment on missing tools. One that comes to mind is a digital volt-ohmmeter. You can get one free with a coupon from HF that is more than adequate. Monitor batteries, find bad wires and switches - they have a lot of uses while setting up the electronics.

I will ditto the clamps. There can never be enough clamps. I use a lot of the small spring clamps, but the 4" bar clamps are also very useful, and sometimes even bigger ones.

These are some of the most usefull clamps I own. Work even better turned around backwards!
pins.jpg
I couldn't get along without this either, but thats an age thing.
maglamp.jpg

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 288

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Speaking of clamps, I'd like to pass along a recommendation I saw somewhere on this site that someone else posted, but unfortunately I do not remember who it was.

Go to an office supply store and pick up a few small boxes of various sizes of Binder Clips. The black metal clips with the wire "handles" you squeeze together to open the opposite end. Their intended purpose is to hold stacks of paper together without using staples. You'll need to experiment with what size clamps work best for each application, depending on what size and type of materials you are clamping versus how much clamping force you want. After you have a good feel for what works best for you, you can go online to places like Quill and buy the clamps in larger quantities at good prices. One word of caution with using them to clamp things made with balsa. You will need to add some very thin ply or other suitable materials on either side of the clamps to keep the clamps from making indentions in the wood.

I will have to admit at first, I was skeptical. Then I tried them and I was amazed at how well they work. Besides, they're CHEAP !.....................:yesss:

sweetpea

100cc
Mine has to be a GOOD set of allen wrenches (metric and standard). The kind you see R/C car guys use with replaceable tips! Those are a must have. I have 2 sets. One for home and one for the pit box.

I do have a nice set of normal L shaped allen wrenches as well (metric and standard) with the ball ends for those stubborn stripped bolts. Which once removed get thrown away.

Then a drill press and a dremel are the next must haves!

I'm with Steelhusker, I can't find the videos anywhere either!

How about reposting them Bartman so we can see what you're talking about.

Please?