• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Getting started in Giant Scale RC---Tools and Supplies

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Here's the first of what will be a series geared toward covering the topics people need to get started in RC flying with an emphasis on Giant Scale.

It's posted on the front page of the site under The Schoolhouse.

I want to hear from you guys! What's the one tool in the shop that you wouldn't give up for anything? Feel free to post pics of your favorite shop tools! It's perfectly normal, everybody does it! lol

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Great job on the video !! I kept waiting for you to get down your can of denatured alcohol from the shelf up there, ha !!

That stuff is great for removing epoxy that always seems to ooze out of those elevator slots & other places !! I like to saturate those blue paper towels with it & wipe the epoxy off !!

Keep the videos coming !!

Thanks, John

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
Ca and kicker lol. Seriously though a cheap drill press is a must have item especial for good props.

BalsaDust

Great video and can't beat the dancing chicken at the end. A couple of tools I can't live without.

1. Pretty much everything bart mentioned in the video.

2. Me liking to scratch build and build from plans a Scroll Saw is a must. I have 3. This is similar to the one I normally use.

attachment.php

3. Cordless drill is great but sometimes I need more precision so a small bench top drill press. Mine is a 1940's model Craftsman that my grandfather gave me when he upgraded. I restored it to perfect running order and I wouldnt trade it for the world.

attachment.php

4. Dremel rotorary tool.

5. Got to have a build buddy. This is Oreo and I find myself talking to myself if she isnt in the shop with me.

attachment.php

20044=12893-DSCF1790.jpg
20044=12893-DSCF1790.jpg
20044=12894-DSCF1798.jpg
20044=12894-DSCF1798.jpg
20044=12895-scroll saw.jpg
20044=12895-scroll saw.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
cbarnes0061;20044 wrote: Great video and can't beat the dancing chicken at the end.

Someone actually watched it to the end?? That chicken was your reward! lol

SlowHuck

Bling, bling for flying things.
cbarnes0061;20044 wrote: A couple of tools I can't live without.
You forgot this...

attachment.php

20076=12907-mr-coffee-coffee-maker-is-better-than-cuisinart-here-is-why-21461902.jpg
20076=12907-mr-coffee-coffee-maker-is-better-than-cuisinart-here-is-why-21461902.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok, so to the list of tools we add a dirty dog, dirty water, a drill press, and a bench top scroll saw. :smile-new:

that stuff's all nice to have so i can't argue with what you're saying but for a new builder or someone getting into assembly of their first ARF, it might not be possible to buy this stuff. so what are the options?

buying used equipment is an option (speaking of Craftsman I've got an old bandsaw that was given to me like it was pulled from a lake and it works great now, but you've got to want to do this stuff to make things like that happen)

join an AMA flying club and ask for help

when you're stuck and think you absolutely positively have to have a drill press to do a particular step on your project, post your question on GiantScaleNews.com! we're here to help!

join a Maker Space, they're all over the place and usually have way more stuff than any one person can afford to buy

ask the local vocational school or high school if they have a machine shop and if you can bring a project by for them to help with, usually they'll say yes.

OK, moving right along, i forgot to include Sand Paper to the first video, i can't go ten minutes when i'm working on something without pulling out a piece of sandpaper. it's cheap, it has a million uses, it'll go into the video on building a new fin for the Edge.

Drilling holes by hand in balsa will also go in there.

Thanks for the feedback so far!