• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Gas engine backfire

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Of course when it hit my hand, it slung blood to the top of the awning, and made a small splatter spot on the ground. It must be God's way of taking care of idiot modelers, but my finger instantly went numb. When I got home, I cleaned it real good with hydrogen peroxide, and then went out to the shop and put a couple of drops of CA on it to close it up. Did you know that when the CA goes off, it gets really hot!!! I think God was laughing at me.

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
Of course when it hit my hand, it slung blood to the top of the awning, and made a small splatter spot on the ground. It must be God's way of taking care of idiot modelers, but my finger instantly went numb. When I got home, I cleaned it real good with hydrogen peroxide, and then went out to the shop and put a couple of drops of CA on it to close it up. Did you know that when the CA goes off, it gets really hot!!! I think God was laughing at me.

CA glue was used in the Vietnam War to heal our wounded warrior...
I have used CA many time to close up a wound...burns like hell but does the job...no need for stitches

Dan767

70cc twin V2
An over rich mixture at engine start can cause the problem you're having. An engine near flooded will do just as you describe. I had this problem with my first 3W-106. I leaned the carb just slightly, and learned to flip the prop with "authority". I called Gerhard about this issue, he said "flip it like you mean it" or something to that effect. (Can't remember his exact words).

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
An over rich mixture at engine start can cause the problem you're having. An engine near flooded will do just as you describe. I had this problem with my first 3W-106. I leaned the carb just slightly, and learned to flip the prop with "authority". I called Gerhard about this issue, he said "flip it like you mean it" or something to that effect. (Can't remember his exact words).
Thanks, Dan!
I think that's the explanation I've been looking for. I'm notorious for running my engines on the rich side. I do that during break-in, and then never adjust them properly. Hey, if it's working, don't mess with it right?!?! Wrong. Sometimes "working" is relative. and in this case, dangerous. or least painful. :)

Dan767

70cc twin V2
Thanks, Dan!
I think that's the explanation I've been looking for. I'm notorious for running my engines on the rich side. I do that during break-in, and then never adjust them properly. Hey, if it's working, don't mess with it right?!?! Wrong. Sometimes "working" is relative. and in this case, dangerous. or least painful. :)
You're welcome!

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
CA glue was used in the Vietnam War to heal our wounded warrior...
I have used CA many time to close up a wound...burns like hell but does the job...no need for stitches
Yep. waterproof and airtight. Those are the main things that make a cut painful. Mine is healing up nicely. My wife thinks I'm crazy and that I am likely poisoning myself. I tried to explain to her where it was developed and first used. She isn't buying it. Have you ever sprayed it with accelerator when it was being a little slow to set?? Now that's a blessing!!!!! YIKES!!!

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
Yep. waterproof and airtight. Those are the main things that make a cut painful. Mine is healing up nicely. My wife thinks I'm crazy and that I am likely poisoning myself. I tried to explain to her where it was developed and first used. She isn't buying it. Have you ever sprayed it with accelerator when it was being a little slow to set?? Now that's a blessing!!!!! YIKES!!!
actually I have, Holy hell did that get exciting....and It was caused by a prop strike....APC prop on a nitro plane adjusting the needle before flight...sliced me open good....

could not get it to stop bleeding with just instant CA....so took some medium with kicker and that did the job...but it did burn a bit..lol

Last edited:

raydar

New to GSN!
actually I have, Holy hell did that get exciting....and It was caused by a prop strike....APC prop on a nitro plane adjusting the needle before flight...sliced me open good....

could not get it to stop bleeding with just instant CA....so took some medium with kicker and that did the job...but it did burn a bit..lol

I dont advise spraying kicker anywhere near CA that is in contact with your skin... I was building a small plane in the kitchen and was struggling to get CA to go off and bond a ply control mount so I sprayed it with kicker whilst holding it down with my thumb. Christ did the wife think I looked the fool dancing around the kitchen swearing with a plane stuck to my thumb.

Seriously though it burnt so bad it blistered and I had a 1cm raw hole in my thumb that took about a month to fully heal, that chemical reaction can cause some serious chemical burns.

Last edited: