• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA 2014-0396- interpretation of new rule for Model Aircraft

AKfreak

150cc
So this isnt just a hit to Drones, its a hit to anything that is in the air. So it would be illegal for little Johnny to build a paper plane and throw it. Imagine the NTSB investigation of the accident where Little Johhnys paper plane was flown into the eye of little Samantha. Total Bull.

You see this is yet another situation where the government creates laws so they can have a catch all to go after select indiuals. It will be like the Pot laws.. Its legal to smoke it in Cali, Co, NV, ect.. But when the Feds want to make an example of you, here comes the jack booted thugs to ruin your life for engaging in a harmless activity. It will be a law that no one listens to, and will be selectively enforced.

Again this isn't just for multirotors, my EF MXS with DA50 is a big @$$ drone in the eyes of the FAA and NTSB. I will say one good thing will come of this, I will finally be able to make money with my DRONES. I will get a UAV ticket and start a business. I have $25 grand worth of multi rotors. The problem is all that gear will be worthless because none of it will ever be certified as airworthy unless it has been tested and approved by the FAA. So that same $500 flight controller I have will cost $5000-$1000 and have Garmin on it. All of the big companies that are already building FAA certified gear will snatch up these small companies like DJI, XAircraft, Zero-UAV, JR, Futaba, ect.. and bolt them on as a turn key operation and submit it all for approval. Basically all the cool little toys will be so expensive that we can no longer afford to own them. General aviation used to be affordable, but for a hobby its not anymore. We will say RC used to be affordable, but not anymore.

Times are changing fast, and the only hopes we have is the AMA. The AMA is he only body of people large enough to lobby congress to use common sense with respect to RC. I 100% agree there should be no commercial use of RC Hobby gear. I also 100% agree there should be FAA approved RC gear and a commercial certification for RC aircraft anf pilots who wish to use RC as a business. The commercial use of Hobby drones/aircraft is the problem. If you use an RC aircraft to make money, you need to do it exactly the same was as any other commercial aircraft does. The problem is you cannot, and instead of setting up programs to allow this to happen they just want to make it illegal. This just isn't acceptable. I love RC, and I will not stop flying because of the laws. With that said, I dont want to get shot in the head by a Henderson Police man because he said I was trying to attack him with my multi rotor when I was trying to land.

This was going to happen sooner or later, I just hope we can get it sorted without myself or any of you becoming a criminal, because this is exactly what is going to happen if everything sticks they way it is right now.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Uggggg frustrating I know! We have been flying for years without much FAA intervention but I have to say with the increase in technology and the decrease of brains cells we have this situation. AMA, Manufacturers and Pilots need to team up with a united front.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
JUST DONT SAY "DRONE"
SUGGESTION TO START BEING PART OF THE SOLUTION.
Hey guys and girls-
What a mess! Right? Knee jerk, uniformed, over reaching legislation attempts to regulate technologies that have come from our hobby but whose applications are so different.
"Drones"- shoot things and spy on people and thanks to the media completely bastardizing the word and its meaning, has become a very negative, threatening term.
"Commercial remotely or autonomously controlled lift devices" (possible new term) come in many forms and are capable of many applications possibly requiring some regulation.
"Model Aircraft" are precisely designed, engineered and constructed toys (I know I know but we are fighting a public image that thinks our foamies and scale warbirds and extras and edges are destructive snooping "drones" threatening God given rights. We have to suck it up and call a spade a spade!). These extremely complex and sometimes very expensive toys promote education, community activities and socially active recreation. Hardly threatening activities.
When we fly a multi rotor with a go pro filming a Huckfest or flying field we are flying a "multi rotor" "model aircraft" NOT a "drone".
Modelers must start the trend to eliminate the word "drone" from our vocabulary. We must educate legislators about the difference and urge them to clarify the definitions to eliminate "model aircraft" used for the AMA regulated activity of "Model Aeronautics" from all "drone" and "commercial remotely or autonomously controlled lift devices" laws or proposed laws. If the definition clearly removes our activity then we don't have to continue finding work arounds. We simply won't apply and we have our fun.
Most legislators I speak to and many modelers are using "drone" interchangeable with RC Aircraft, most commonly that all multi rotors are drones, simply not true.
Face it, "toys" don't shoot, spy, or have commercial applications. Toys don't need to be over regulated. We fly REALLY nice toys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suds

50cc
JUST DONT SAY "DRONE"
SUGGESTION TO START BEING PART OF THE SOLUTION.

Modelers must start the trend to eliminate the word "drone" from our vocabulary. We must educate legislators about the difference and urge them to clarify the definitions to eliminate "model aircraft" used for the AMA regulated activity of "Model Aeronautics" from all "drone" and "commercial remotely or autonomously controlled lift devices" laws or proposed laws.

I agree that we need to move away from the word "drone" as it is loosely being used.
Official Dictionary definition #2 of "drone" contains this key phrase " can navigate autonomously". Unfortunately if we keep using "drone" for basic multi rotor "model aircraft" we are likely to see definition #3 more universaly adopted which likely won't be beneficial to the modeling community.

Dictionary (drone, noun):
2. an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight: the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
3. (loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely: a radio-controlled drone.

dth7

I agree that we need to move away from the word "drone" as it is loosely being used.
Official Dictionary definition #2 of "drone" contains this key phrase " can navigate autonomously". Unfortunately if we keep using "drone" for basic multi rotor "model aircraft" we are likely to see definition #3 more universaly adopted which likely won't be beneficial to the modeling community.

Dictionary (drone, noun):
2. an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight: the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
3. (loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely: a radio-controlled drone.

Exactly! Crystallized my point. That dictionary definition has allowed the media to lump Model Aircraft into a book definition that infers and suggests "spy drone". Definition 3 has all ready entered the mainstream. Any quad or multi rotor to a non RC enthusiast and even many AMA members has become a "drone" whether it is the size of a quarter or capable of lifting hundreds of pounds. Not accurate at all and yes, not only not beneficial to the modeling community but destructive to it.

AKfreak

150cc
We have a local idiot that uses the word Drone for everything. He makes facebook groups, clubs, events and even a business (in his garage) all based on this, what he calls a , "hot button word", DRONE!

He says his customers call him and specially ask for drones. I told him he needs to educate his customers and try to move away from the word drone. I explained why, but he disagrees. He said he embraces the word and thanks the media for helping to promote his new business for free.

I hate this fool, and if we were in high school, I promise I would kick his ass.. He sells a bunch of DJI garbage to any and every He can.. Disgusting, completely disgusting to see a jerk like this embrace this word in the hops for profit instead of trying to protect the hobby.

dth7

I think the word "Drone" has become a popular term that is here to stay for better or worse.

Mostly "worse" as we are seeing right now. If we can correctly classify "drone" (damn I said it!) where it belongs- separate from recreational use model aircraft (to include multi rotors) then a popular term can also become a more accurate term hopefully for "better".