• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA 2014-0396- interpretation of new rule for Model Aircraft

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks like the FAA is starting to gear up to hand down Felony Charges for commercial use of quads! Here is an article on this idiot above but look at the very bottom that talks about the congressmen's wedding! Hopefully he will have something to say about their interpretation!

In the domestic drone debate, critics have argued that personal drones will usher in an era of rampant DIY surveillance, with cameras in the sky everywhere you turn. Proponents of that view have more ammunition this week, as an upstate New York man was arrested and faces felony charges for allegedly using a drone to film outside a medical exam room.

David Beesmer, 49, flew a drone within 15 feet of a hospital window where patients were being examined, according to a police report. There, Beesmer’s drone — a DJI Phantom 2, according to his Facebook page— was reportedly seen by patients and staff at the hospital. On Tuesday, Beesmer excitedly posted videos of the hospital to his page, but yesterday he apologized: “I truly realize that I should have asked first but did not think it would be an issue….only to discover that it sure is…” Beesmer was released from custody and will face the charges at a later date. He said the drone was unable to see through the tinted hospital windows.

Cases like this still aren’t an everyday occurrence, but as drone adoption rises in the United States, we’ll likely see more incidents. This week, the Federal Aviation Administration also announced that it was investigating whether a drone that filmed a congressman’s wedding was a violation of FAA regulations on commercial drones.
This article was originally published on The Verge.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I saw stuff going around today the FAA lost another court case trying to fine sooner one using a drone for commercial use. Sorry no links at this time. So 2 losses for the FAA, they are even note passed so I expect something even worse to come from them.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Got this in my inbox today.

RR1aL7iYc2rXLgcZ5VhuX4tU8n_Qp6Q4gndufshpRAulun4CPLFbdMqhy_sJb9-SU1YEcGB_d4tfcZq1jLpfD04a9VrU=s0-d-e1-ft
RR1aL7iYc2rXLgcZ5VhuX4tU8n_Qp6Q4gndufshpRAulun4CPLFbdMqhy_sJb9-SU1YEcGB_d4tfcZq1jLpfD04a9VrU=s0-d-e1-ft
FAA grants comment extension at the request of AMA
At the request of the AMA, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has granted a 60-day extension for the public comment period (Docket No. FAA-2014-0396) for FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft established by Congress as part of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. The 60-day extension establishes the new deadline for comments as September 23, 2014.

In the United States Department of Transportation/FAA notice due to publish in the Federal Register onJuly 25, 2014, the FAA noted the following:

"On July 16, 2014, the Academy of Model Aeronautics submitted a request to extend the comment period by 60 days, citing the need to "educate the aeromodeling community, clarify the issues, and respond to questions regarding the impact that the interpretive rule has on various aspects of the modeling activity." The FAA agrees that additional time for the submission of comments would be helpful, and therefore has decided to extend the comment period until September 23, 2014. The FAA expects that the additional time for comments will allow the affected community to prepare meaningful comments which will help the FAA to determine what clarifications to the interpretation may be necessary."Your Action is needed now

The administrative rulemaking notice and comment process is the means by which the FAA can address these concerns and make any definitive changes to the rule. Your comments need to be detailed, meaningful, and constructive.

We are asking all of our members and everyone who has an interest in the future of model aviation to participate in this process.

AKfreak

150cc
The Drone Hunter is awesome. Kill all of those turn Phantoms. They are the min cause for all the issues. DJI is so stupid for not offering a massive training campaign for all who buy their junk. A how to fly safe DVD in every box wouldn't cost that much, but it way past late now.

koss1000

30cc
I am going to put my 2 cents in because I have first hand experience. I have a couple larger multi rotors with gimbals and are camera capable. In fact one can be run totally autonomous. We have totally ceased any use of them except for my rc hobby type fun because of all the ridiculous FAA stuff going on. I have only used them in line of sight rules also. But, its just not worth the bad press and issues of the FAA knocking at the door. I also hold a single engine and glider rating and according to this new coment they are trying to mandate. If you hold a lets say private pilot lisc and fly R.C. aircraft for fun. And the FAA finds you doing something wrong or something lets say they don't like your doing with your foam rc plane, they can pull your private pilot lisc. The big problem that started all this was all the people posting you tube videos and bragging that they were flying at such and such altitude and so many miles away. There blatant ignorance of safety of the public has been noted many times and there disregard for any kind of responsibility still woes its ugly head daily. Then the media got a hold of all this and whamo negative publicity across the board and I believe lots of it is well deserved. So the FAA steps in because of public and of course the political atmosphere we live in now and hammers everyone. I do believe there needs to be rules for FPV and commercial use of these things. And the rules should not interfere with hobbyists flying in contests or general R.C. flying especially with anyone whom holds AMA. As for me I have realized I don't need the darn things to make fun DVD's of all the fantastic events I get to attend so I am not sweating it in those terms. But, everyone should put forth positive comments to the FAA site on all of these issues and even try to offer alternatives. It just makes for a more mature response. No one will listen to someone ranting and whining without diligently putting out options to fix things in a adult mannered response. Hey I get it, I would love to give the middle finger and just move on but unfortunately thats just not how it works and that only baits them to push more.

Ok Going to go rock my new Extra 300 for a bit. You guys keep safe and have fun cause thats what its supposed to be about.