• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Mach3

30cc
Hey Guys, after trying my friends EF 60" Extra & my slick premature death I in the market for a new plane. I currently have a 3DHS 57" Extra, a 72" Extra flying & a 58" Edge & 51" Slick currently under repair. I'm waiting to try a Extreme Flight plane this time around & am thinking of either the 64" MXS or the 60" Laser running a motorlfly 4315 4s setup. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips as to which one of these planes a might like more & which does what better then the other ?

Thanks Steven

The laser is my favorite 60" plane as it just fits me. I have not gotten to fly a 64 MXS yet. 4s might be a bit light as all the lasers I have seen have been 6s 3300. If you run 4s 5000 you have close to the same weight, but you are pushing more amps and probably can't get the watts to have the silly power the 6s gets. I had a 60" edge on a 3620-750 and swapped to the 6s setup and boy was there a difference. The edge was too light on windy days with the 4s setup.

Mach3

30cc
Ok, then if I was going to go 6s what wattage & battery size would you want for insane power (like my MF 4315 on 4s in my 3DHS57"extra) ?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Ok, then if I was going to go 6s what wattage & battery size would you want for insane power (like my MF 4315 on 4s in my 3DHS57"extra) ?

6S 3300's are very popular and may bump the capacity up to 3700. I fly 3300's and like them. My timer is set for 6 minutes but my timer is set to throttle position so on the clock I am pretty close to 7 min. As for C-rating for insane power buy as much as you can afford, I suggest you search some as many batteries are over rated sometimes.

ryan_m

100cc

The MF 4315-480 on 6s with a 15x8 or 16x7 are very popular combos. Good for about 1600-1750 watts. Also the EF Torque motor that is suggested on their site is a very nice motor and will also do about 1600-1750 watts with the same props. 85 amp ESC is a good match.
Would also very much recommend going to the HS-7245 servos if you can swing it. They are a great match to the plane, but you need an ESC that can push out about 7.5-8 volts to them to really get those advantages also. The ZTW Gecko series is pretty good. Or a standalone BEC like the Castle BEC is what I'm using. Some have also used the Castle Talon 90.

As far as which plane? I own the MXS, and have flown a laser for about 10 flights or so. They are very similar to me. Others think the laser is better, ever so slightly. Others like the MXS more. I would honestly say that you should buy whichever looks the coolest to you. The MXS probably has a tad more violence and pitch capabilities, while the Laser is a bit more well rounded. But the differences to me at least are pretty minor. And both fly incredibly well.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
The MF 4315-480 on 6s with a 15x8 or 16x7 are very popular combos. Good for about 1600-1750 watts. Also the EF Torque motor that is suggested on their site is a very nice motor and will also do about 1600-1750 watts with the same props. 85 amp ESC is a good match.
Would also very much recommend going to the HS-7245 servos if you can swing it. They are a great match to the plane, but you need an ESC that can push out about 7.5-8 volts to them to really get those advantages also. The ZTW Gecko series is pretty good. Or a standalone BEC like the Castle BEC is what I'm using. Some have also used the Castle Talon 90.

As far as which plane? I own the MXS, and have flown a laser for about 10 flights or so. They are very similar to me. Others think the laser is better, ever so slightly. Others like the MXS more. I would honestly say that you should buy whichever looks the coolest to you. The MXS probably has a tad more violence and pitch capabilities, while the Laser is a bit more well rounded. But the differences to me at least are pretty minor. And both fly incredibly well.

+1 on what [MENTION=33]ryan_m[/MENTION] said. I'll only add that I use the Torque motor with an Airboss and castle BEC on 6s 3300 and 3750. I get about 6-7 min flying hard. Performance is Unlimited (well limited by your imagination!) with the Laser. I practice IMAC (its a "backup") with it as well so if sport and precision is your gig you'll get +7 min with a 16x7, 15x8 will give great precision performance and even longer Flt times.
I've had good luck with Yellow jackets, Glaciers and Gens in the 25-40c range. Enjoy- you can't help it!
Oh, guts from a "retired" 60" extra will be going into an MXS both will have HV 7245s. The jitter (seeking center) a little bit but no ill effects airborne.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

+1 on what [MENTION=33]ryan_m[/MENTION] said. I'll only add that I use the Torque motor with an Airboss and castle BEC on 6s 3300 and 3750. I get about 6-7 min flying hard. Performance is Unlimited (well limited by your imagination!) with the Laser. I practice IMAC (its a "backup") with it as well so if sport and precision is your gig you'll get +7 min with a 16x7, 15x8 will give great precision performance and even longer Flt times.
I've had good luck with Yellow jackets, Glaciers and Gens in the 25-40c range. Enjoy- you can't help it!
Oh, guts from a "retired" 60" extra will be going into an MXS both will have HV 7245s. They jitter (seeking center) a little bit but no ill effects airborne.

Hey Guys, after trying my friends EF 60" Extra & my slick premature death I in the market for a new plane. I currently have a 3DHS 57" Extra, a 72" Extra flying & a 58" Edge & 51" Slick currently under repair. I'm waiting to try a Extreme Flight plane this time around & am thinking of either the 64" MXS or the 60" Laser running a motorlfly 4315 4s setup. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips as to which one of these planes a might like more & which does what better then the other ?

Thanks Steven

Without knowing you and your flying style that is nearly impossible to answer. I guess I can attest to their flying styles, I own the 60" Laser and Extra and the 64" MXS. The one I like the best is the one I am flying at that very moment. I really cannot say one is head and shoulders above the rest they each are very good. The MXS might be a little faster, but for 3D they each do it all. I always end up advising you get the one you like the looks of the best, they all fly great but you got to look at it all the time.
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: